Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 20-03-2005 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
LOL, yeah I know. Heres a few small updates. Once again Comments needed.

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 20-03-2005 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 20-03-2005 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 20-03-2005 , 04:54 AM
Subscriber
OK, now even though I have not finished the modeling, I am going to try to start to texture the scope. BUT, I have ran into a problem. Well, I dont know if you would even call it a problem(because its probably so simple), I am using Adobe Photoshop CS and need to have more than one image up. If you dont understand my problem, then check out Mickenly's(?) texturing tutorial(the free one). When he is pulling up all those images such as the pipe and wood, I need to know how to do something that. thx for the help.

# 20 20-03-2005 , 05:17 AM
I think the fastest way to improve your modelling skills, is to try and model things in one mesh and to use polygons only. You can still use birails/lofts etc but output to polygons. Use polygon primatives to get the rough shapes. Go into finer detail using, split polygon, cut faces tool, extrude faces, bevels etc. Use boolean operations to join it all together. I really recommend Just learning the polygon tools to start with. They are a lot more intuitive and much easier to make a nice smooth mesh. Do a few poly modelling tutorials to learn the tools, and you'll be amazed at how easy it is. Steer clear of nurbs and subdivs for the time being.

Try to make a single mesh rather than just having intersecting seperate objects. Afterall objects never intersect in real life. Seperate parts may sit exremely close together but they don't intersect. If part of the gun is all one part, model it so it is one mesh.
Anyone else agree with me here?

# 21 20-03-2005 , 05:21 AM
also, forgot to mention. try to keep all your polys planar, and either triangular or quadrilateral.

Again i will say to you. Go with polys.

# 22 20-03-2005 , 01:42 PM
Subscriber
Oh, ok, your probably right. Since Im just a newb Polies would be the way to go. Just a thought, but are there any good poly tutorials for say a newb like me? I have found a few, maybe a little help on wheter or not they will help would be apreciated(?).

https://enemy.mesmer.com/moebius/FMPr...wered%20Gun%20(Maya)&-SortField=LearningOrder&-SortOrder=ascend&-Max=1&-Skip=0&-Find

and I also found the polygon modeling tutorial at digital tutors.

Last edited by alienscience; 20-03-2005 at 01:51 PM.
# 23 20-03-2005 , 01:53 PM
Subscriber
Hello again.

I'm glad revolve surface worked for you, the model is looking really good. I'm not sure I understand your problem with photoshop though, you can open as many images as you want in the photoshop interface and if you marquee select a section in one window you can copy/paste it into another window or you can Ctrl & L/mouse button drag your selection to another window.

As for tutorials, in the help menu on Maya there are loads of tutorials and tips for using tools which are totally invaluable to a newbie, also this site has an abundance of tutorials for all sorts of stuff. Keep it up,

Mat.

# 24 20-03-2005 , 03:40 PM
Subscriber
Well now I am having second thoughts on the poly thing. It would take me a while to get really good with polys and on top of that I would have to remake the whole model. I think that from now on I will use mostly polys in this model (but maybe a few nurbs or whatever), but I PROMISE you "Aidan" that my next big project will be in polys. lol. I will have an update probably tomorrow.

# 25 22-03-2005 , 07:54 PM
Subscriber
Ok, sorry everyone with the lack of updates. Im even more sorry for the time you will have to wait for this one. ARRGGGhhh I just have alot to do right now and this is not on the top of the list. But I will still work on it, Thx everyone for the great help so far.

# 26 22-03-2005 , 10:18 PM
Subscriber
you could convert your nurbs as you have them to polys if you go to modify - convert then onto the option box of nurbs to polygons and then on tesselation method click control points then select your nurb object and hit convert it converts it to a low polygon cage

# 27 25-03-2005 , 12:27 AM
Subscriber
Yeah, that is a good technique. It sounds familar, I think I saw it in kurt's cartoon dog tutorial(I think). Thanks though, but my nurbs modeling is not exactly what I would call "CV friendly". Im on a different computer right now so I cant show any updates, but I can talk about them. lol. All I have really done is with the little doohicky things on the body of the gun. I have also started on the chamber, but I think that has turned out the worst. I know it is impossible to critic words for an update, but I should have a pic tomorrow. I probably wont have many updates over the week though, due to the fact that its frickin SPRING BREAK, yay!.

# 28 03-04-2005 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I seem to have run into a problem. MY COMPUTER HAS ONE SCREWED UP VIRUS. I hate my firewall, I think I have mentioned that in some other posts? Anyways, my files seem to have been deleted or moved over only a period of a week. It might still exist, but another weird thing is my user acount. When I log on it says the normal name. But when I try to acces my files, it is logged on under an acount that dosen't exist. ARGHHHHHH, I hate my crappy firewall, stupid peice of crap, ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH. I could kill the programers of it right now.

# 29 04-04-2005 , 05:05 PM
Subscriber
That sucks man!!

Hope you get it sorted, good luck,

Mat.