Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 31-01-2013 , 03:35 AM
Having Fun!!!!

Non Planar faces

What are they?? and is it bad to have them??

# 2 31-01-2013 , 04:37 AM
This is pretty much from the maya docs and explains it very well....

A polygon face is planar when:
all of its vertices lie in a certain plane. For example, a triangle face is always planar, because its three points define a plane.

A polygon face is non-planar when:
it has more than three vertices, and one or more of those vertices do not lie in the same plane. When a polygon mesh is comprised of quads or n-gons it is possible to have non-planar polygon faces.

In general, you should try to create planar polygon faces on your polygon meshes whenever possible. Non-planar polygon faces may render incorrectly in your final images or when exported to an interactive video game console. For example, a visual shaded line or an unwanted spike may appear on the polygon mesh where it has been subdivided for rendering because it is non-planar.

Maya provides the following features to help you avoid non-planar polygon faces in your polygon meshes:

1. 1 To avoid creating non-planar polygons you can use the Keep New Faces Planar option when using the Mesh > Create Polygon Tool and Edit Mesh > Append to Polygon Tool features.
    2 To correct non-planar polygon faces you can use the Edit Mesh > Split Polygon Tool.
    3 To visually identify non-planar polygon faces you can customize the display of polygons by selecting Display > Polygons > Non-planar Faces.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 31-01-2013 at 04:41 AM.
# 3 31-01-2013 , 12:54 PM
Having Fun!!!!
Thanks for the info. I was creating a characters face and while looking at the menus I selected the non planar option and almost the entire mesh was Highlighted user added image . I will try to fix that, thanks again you guys are great.

# 4 31-01-2013 , 06:31 PM
There is a nice, old, script floating around to help you out. Google planarize or similar.