Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-10-2007 , 08:18 AM
Subscriber

Gharacter Desigin Models

Can anyone help me. If I want to model a character like batman, or Yoda, they usually have capes and clothes on them. So do I model them Naked, and how can I model The clothes if I am not Using Maya Unlimited. Pls Help Tnx

# 2 08-10-2007 , 08:57 AM
Subscriber
Yes you initally model them naked, the clothes can be made from poly geometry. A good way to do this is to duplicate certain parts of your character, such as the torso, and scale them up a tiny amount. For instance a t-shirt can be made by duplicating the faces of the torso and upper arms and be scaled up by a little bit.

Hope this helps

Chris

# 3 03-11-2007 , 03:39 PM

hmmm...

You usually don't model the character naked. You model him with the clothes on all in one mesh. Unless he is going to take off his clothes or something of that sort. Also, you are going to have problems if you animate both of the clothes and skin. They are going to overlap as the move or as we call it "Cliping".

On the cape. You model the cape horizontally to the ground while attached to the neck. You then make it a live cloth, soft body or you can apply joints. You get a better deformation doing it this way.

EA Games
# 4 15-11-2007 , 03:06 AM
Well I supose you could make him naked (without all the details ofcourse) and then use a layered shader + a few intelligent textures...easier said than done