Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 06-07-2004 , 06:52 PM
$12k! that's pretty much below the poverty line isnt it?! bloody hell on that estimation I'm over $40k!!! user added image I like the sounds of that! I just wish it was in £!!

Anyways dont worry about money, just get your foot in the door, make yourself invaluable and then ask for more money that's what I was told user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 47 06-07-2004 , 07:21 PM
good thread. i've got a few questions...

I'm an art student (my major is Industrial Design -almost done with school...eek) and new to Maya and cgi in general...
1. How important is a degree or training compared to your portfolio?
2. What would you (those of you out there already with jobs, that is) say about the level of competition...or rather, the level of "cut-throat" competition in your workplace?
That's kind of a vague question...but one of the reasons I'm shying away from a job in ID is because most design jobs (or professors...) I've been exposed to have a really unpleasant feeling to them; i.e. your colleagues are forever your rivals and you always have to watch your back. I understand competition while applying for jobs etc, but I also want to work with and not always against people. Does that make any sense?
3. Should I be trying to study CS as well?

-katie

"a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - rwe
# 48 06-07-2004 , 07:36 PM
The Maya Mountain
1) degree isn't as important.
2) I haven't noticed much inter-studio competition where I work. 'Course, some studios might be worse than others.
3) Suppose it wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it's necessary.

# 49 07-07-2004 , 08:31 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I think anything you can achieve is always a plus point when you go for a job in any industry, it gives you more freedom to choose, but saying that, dont lose sight of what you actually want to do.

Also, guys in a studio competing with each other is fun in some ways as it always keeps helps keep stuff looking good and fresh, but I've been in situations where it almost looks as though people are doing it just to 'Brown Nose' the boss.

_J

Last edited by Jay; 07-07-2004 at 08:35 AM.
# 50 08-07-2004 , 09:21 AM
Subscriber
Hi all,
What a good thread, but there's one thing which always gets over looked when looking at peoples portfolios. With loads of kids leaving "3D" college, the market is swamped but there is a general trend with most of these guys which seems to appear quite allot. That would be the lack of drawing skills!
You cant possible be able to get into the industry without them. A portrait artist will not touch oils until having spent years studying form through pencil and charcoal drawings, the same applies to 3D work.
You need to understand the intricate fundamentals of form, texture composition and these skills are even more important then using the software itself. Spend a good 2/3 years drawing and observing the world whilst trying to get your head round Maya!

Draw and observe

It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion
# 51 08-07-2004 , 11:22 AM
Subscriber
Hi Stephen...

that's some good words... I used to draw alot but after the pc came in my hands I didn't do much with it...little while ago I picked it up cause I realized that it could be a good fundamental for the future...
user added image

# 52 08-07-2004 , 11:51 AM
SM Tea Boy

Originally posted by Zyk0tiK
It's alot less than 20k buddy, it's more like 14k, which is actually a pretty good salery... I guess not for 3D stuff tho, national average here is about 12k, which is near enough where I sit... 20k is a high salery, not /that/ high but you could live very comfortably on it.

Actual the national average wage for a man in full time employment in the UK is £22,000 thousand. For a woman it's lower at £17,400.

12k a year wouldn't even cover your rent and basic bills on a 2 bedroom place in these parts. I wouldn't even attempt to buy somewhere at the moment with out an income of 35k +

Here i used figures for 2000 earnigns have now gone up a bit.

https://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloa...NES2003_UK.pdf

David.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 53 08-07-2004 , 12:17 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Dudes

Yeah I completely agree with what Stephen says. The drawing side of it is important, it helps to understand form of any object even though its 2d, also it helps to plan your models etc before you build them, other wise its like building a house without any plans if you know what I mean. You can overcome problems that might trip you up along the way.

_J

# 54 08-07-2004 , 01:12 PM
depends what you want to do though. I can't really draw for toffee but i'm still in the industry... if you're going for artistic areas then drawing helps but if you're aiming at technical stuff then you dont need to be able to.
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 55 08-07-2004 , 10:16 PM

Originally posted by David
Actual the national average wage for a man in full time employment in the UK is £22,000 thousand. For a woman it's lower at £17,400.

Strange indeed... where I live the average is 12k per person per couple.

So an average household would have like 24k... and 12k for a single young guy living on his own would be enough to live on and still have beer money after bills. Not with a mortgage going on ofcourse user added image

# 56 08-07-2004 , 10:37 PM
The Maya Mountain
yeah, money's relative. If I somehow was able to make my current salary in India or whatever I'd be like a millionaire or something. :p

# 57 08-07-2004 , 10:45 PM
SM Tea Boy

Originally posted by mtmckinley
yeah, money's relative. If I somehow was able to make my current salary in India or whatever I'd be like a millionaire or something. :p

Move to India come work for me, I'll pay you $2 bux an hour that's got to be better than average wages user added image

David.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 58 09-07-2004 , 12:16 AM
Couldn’t agree more with what Stephens post. I’m planning on doing a Drawing degree before I really start to get involved in 3D related stuff. That stuff can come later, untill then its just a hobby.

And 12k a year sound about right… for PART-TIME work!

Talking of payment, I’m currently looking for a young Filipino/Korean inbetweener to help work on the animated film I’m making. user added image Any takers.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 59 09-07-2004 , 06:13 AM
Im on 23 grand a year and thats with Over time, 19 basic

# 60 09-07-2004 , 08:42 AM
like McKinley said, it's relative to where you live. In london 12k wouldn't even pay for a roof over your head, but in Peterborough in my neighbourhood it would pay for alot more. In my city the average beer costs £1.70. In london that moves up to about £3.50 so you can see that there's a big difference in retail prices. 12k where I live is a full time job not part time. and national averages by the government mean nothing. Think how many people earn 100k/200k a year, then the guys making a normal 12k, it takes 10 of them to average it out to what the most are making. And plus areas are more expensive/less expensive than what they are. It really shows nothing about national averages, more it shows that if you have a few high numbers and lots of low numbers then you'll end up with a middle number. Bleh.