Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-09-2006 , 04:44 AM
Subscriber

Viewing normal maps?

I have applied my normal map, yet the model now appears very poorly lit, is this common? how do I get it so that it appears normally in the view port, as I'm having to keep rendering my scene to see the minor details which surely isnt the quick way of doing this. see below how it appears in the viewport

Attached Thumbnails

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 2 03-09-2006 , 05:30 AM
Subscriber
Anyone?

# 3 03-09-2006 , 05:32 AM
try using the heightField_node from general utilities in the hypershade. I donĀ“t know if it works for complex geometry like a head too but you might try. or if your card supports high quality rendering this could also be an option.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 4 03-09-2006 , 05:42 AM
Subscriber
cheers Fallott, I already have high quality rendering turned on Ill give that a go, I've also been recomended the jsnormal mapping shader though i can't make head not tail of it, ever heard or used of it?

# 5 03-09-2006 , 07:31 AM
no, sorry. I usually model a piece of geo, do the displacement in zBrush and give it right away.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.

Last edited by Falott; 03-09-2006 at 07:58 AM.