Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 26-05-2013 , 01:06 PM
Having Fun!!!!
Hi Dave, Can you post the wire frame for the turtle? and also did you paint the turtle or did you use images and edited them in photoshop? It looks very nice mate. user added image

# 17 26-05-2013 , 02:47 PM
The thin red line
Thanks Juanpax
All the painting has been done in mudbox not done the final clean up in photoshop yet, all you see at the moment are photo projections and clone stamp, the modelling in mud is really to give the effect of 3D as the shell is really flat most of the time so I have given it a little more bump so it show up better (if I started this to do a model of a turtle would have done a better job). The last example pic is one I used for the projection of the front finuser added image.....................dave

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

# 18 27-05-2013 , 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
That turtles really looking good Dave! Also, I'm guessing the volumetric effect is coming from a fluid container? Have you fiddled around with parti_volume? Anyways, an mia mat with an ocean texture for displacement would do the trick. I mean, you can setup fresnel reflections with Maya standard shaders and a sampler info but why bother when you can just tick a checkbox on a physical shader like the mia_mat(I think there's a water preset too).

- Genny
# 19 27-05-2013 , 09:24 PM
The thin red line
Thanks Genny
Im still working on the turtle changing the texture from 2k to 4k as it was not standing up to a close up shot, I should have done that in the first place as you can drop the size if its to big, Im using the volume cube from the volume primitives with a ramp in the Y axis. Like I said in a earlier post I did try photons with a parti_volume shader would there be any benefit to using the parti shader Genny. I will look into the mia_mat shader as I have not used it before would I have to use it with physical sun and would I then not need the light texture for the god ray and could I link it up with the parti_volume shader. Sorry Genny lots of questionsuser added image..............dave

# 20 28-05-2013 , 10:40 AM
Love it. Great work Dave.

# 21 28-05-2013 , 09:45 PM
The thin red line
Thanks Clearair
May be my turtle will look up and see you tug boat........user added image..............dave

# 22 28-05-2013 , 11:47 PM
The Nurb Herd
Hey dave, do you have an example of the texture not holding up? So far your renders were all tiny 640x480. Have you thought about colour correcting the blue out of the texture colour?

# 23 29-05-2013 , 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
OMG it's Dom! Where have you been? :x

@ Dave

I'd say the parti_volume looks much better and is more accurate than the volume primitive. The parti_volume is however, much more expensive to render but at least the objects cast raytraced shadows into the volume and it respects the light decay. In this case I used a refractive mia_mat shader on the cube incasing the parti_volume(because I felt like it user added image). The light is a really thin area light that's using the physical light shader in its "custom shaders" slots, I could increase the area light samples for a smoother volume but you get the point.
And no, you don't need to use the physical sky in order to use the mia_material.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 24 29-05-2013 , 05:37 PM
The thin red line
Hi Dom long time no seeuser added image
It was the texture on the turtle that was not quite right, I might get away with it as I am rapt up with other things at the moment. I will up the rez of any new shots when I have a update.
Thanks Genny
I had my blond wig on when I said I have not used the mia_mat I was look for a mat shader when the penny dropped mia_material am I thick. Any way I have tried to use a mia_mat(mia_meterial) for the ocean shader would look good on top but not from under side. Having some problems with photons and parti_volume shader think it might be my graphics card hope not first shot without volume next shot with.........dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 25 29-05-2013 , 06:49 PM
The thin red line
My fault not the graphics card I had the bottom plane in the same space as the volume just had to move it up a little, now to sort how to get the parti_volume to look better.............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 26 29-05-2013 , 07:55 PM
I'm very impressed. keep it up dave user added image

edit: i'd say try to work on the sand texture, if u look closely it feels like the sandcorns are very big and hard + the bump is a bit hard on some places!

thats only my opinion though. i know you got far more experience than me user added image

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^

Last edited by Skalman; 29-05-2013 at 07:58 PM.
# 27 10-06-2013 , 07:22 AM
Subscriber
Dave, would you please mind sharing how you set up and achieved the caustic light and fog...?

# 28 10-06-2013 , 04:14 PM
The thin red line

Last edited by daverave; 10-06-2013 at 05:03 PM.
# 29 11-06-2013 , 01:12 AM
Lifetime Member
nice work dave....a bit different from the standard tanks user added image

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 30 11-06-2013 , 11:05 AM
The thin red line

nice work dave....a bit different from the standard tanks user added image

cheers bullet

Are you trying to imply I have a obsession with tanks Anthony............LOL............dave

Attached Thumbnails