Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 12-09-2003 , 06:11 PM

Union problem

Hello, I have a problem with boolean union operation. When I want to union two polygon objects, they disappear. It only happens with some objects. user added image

Could anyone help me with this please? user added image

# 2 12-09-2003 , 06:40 PM
Subscriber
I find booleans a tad temperamental. I used to think it was just me but lots of people post about them. It seems sometimes Maya just cannot locate the two things you are trying to boolean in relation to each other and both disappear. I find if you try deleting the history of the objects and / or freezing transformations and / or centring the pivot it can make the process work (bit of trial and error) as can moving the objects around slightly on the grid.

# 3 12-09-2003 , 07:47 PM
I tried all your suggestions Witchy, but it still isn´t working (thanks anyway for the tips user added image)
Isn´t there some other way to make from several objects only one?

Here is what I am working on.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 12-09-2003 , 08:34 PM
Subscriber
One thing you might try is making sure other objects that have nothing to do with the boolean are out of the way. If you have geomtry intersecting your two objects, it may not work properly.

You could always select your objects and choose Polygons>Combine. That will make all your objects into one, but the boolean obviously doesn't take place.

# 5 12-09-2003 , 09:11 PM
Also make sure that both of the objects are non-manifold, and copy and paste any error messages are displayed in the script editor.