Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 04-12-2005 , 02:02 PM
Wow. So its a battle between this and the dyson!

I like the first one, but if you can make the curves a little less... curvy user added image So the folds wont show up as much. And for a true morning thing, put the light far behind it, so it looks like sunrise.

Anyway, looking nice, love your use of DOF here.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 47 04-12-2005 , 02:27 PM
Wow, thanks a lot but i'm not very happy to be honest. It doesn't look that realistical so far and i'm nearly done.

I guess you're right Simon, you don't see curtains like that every day in kitchens, but for the purpose of this scene we can make an exception. I mean it doesn't look that strange. The guys with this coffee machine like to live in style user added image

Now i'm having another problem... I basically have a 3 point light system so far, but here's the issue. The main light casts a very strong shadow. Now i don't know if i should go with global illumination (which would mean that i would have to convert all my subds to polys or nurbs) or try and fake those shadows manually. I don't have enough experience to know if GI would truly improve the scenes look a lot. So is it worth it to go with GI?

Btw Matt, great idea on the distant sunrise. Once again thanks user added image. I think i'll try it soon.

# 48 04-12-2005 , 03:13 PM
Subscriber
lol live in style and haha. matt you should look at the other work on max n lightwave theres some good models there too.!
user added image

# 49 04-12-2005 , 03:17 PM
Subscriber
Cris may i suggest trying a good render without depth of field.
i think it maybe blurring the background too much which makes it the kitchen area kinda cartoony. also try too make the colurs less vibrant.
hope this helps. (but not too much) heheh j/k
just a idea give it a try. your best tryiing lots of differernt renders and saving them all. then u can choose the best.

# 50 04-12-2005 , 04:41 PM
19 year Veteran
Fantastic Job on your progress!:attn:

# 51 05-12-2005 , 01:49 PM
A look at the new curtains... Still really unhappy with the overall scene look. Will be doing a test with the coffe machine in the scene real soon...

Attached Thumbnails
# 52 05-12-2005 , 01:56 PM
Subscriber
loving the window and sunset/ or rise!
i think where the curtains are pulled in maybe to low down something dont look right.i think it needs to be more gradual.
hope u understand what im saying thanks for ure comments in my thread too.!

# 53 05-12-2005 , 02:12 PM
Yes i know. The place where the cloth is all gathered looks a bit strange right now, i'll have to tweek it a little. But right now i'm focusing on trying to get a render with the coffee machine in the scene. Hope it will turn out ok.

# 54 05-12-2005 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
me too good lucky pal.!

# 55 05-12-2005 , 09:09 PM
Well, I think the solution would be not to get the cloth so bunched up, but instead, make the folds actually protrude more, instead of increasing the density of the folds, you cath my drift?

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 56 05-12-2005 , 09:18 PM
Well, made some more modifications and here's a rendering. The scene looks better now i'd say, but the coffee machine is simply strange... I guess it's back to the old drawing board user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 57 06-12-2005 , 11:05 AM
try a light on in the kitchen to counter the outside light and you should get a nice strong dark edge on the objects. It'll also bring out the detail on the coffee machine and give some interesting reflections in the glass user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 58 06-12-2005 , 01:20 PM
Yeah i think i'll do that. Btw, any ideas why my global illumination light doesn't cast that hard light on the table when it passes through my closed windows? It's like its dissipating the light entirely... In the 2 renderings above i have the exact same light, just that in one the windows are closed and in the other they're open.

# 59 06-12-2005 , 04:11 PM
Well here's another rendering. Added that second light and it does seem to look better. Thanks t1ck user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 60 07-12-2005 , 09:01 AM
cant help with the GI settings as I'm a noob with rendering but I'm sure someone on the board knows lots user added image

Just a suggestion but try upping the inside light a lot more to get the impression you've just come downstairs in the morning (or at sunset) and have switched a halogen strip light on. It might look good or it might look bad but it might put more focus on the main object.

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net