Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 15-07-2003 , 07:10 AM
Part1- What is CPS modelling and why do you need to use this method?

CPS modelling is the name given to a certain workflow which suits very well beginners and profesionals alike in the modelling phase of a proyect.

CPS actually means Connect Poly Shape and it´s a MelScript created by Dirk Bialluch and available in www.lightstorm3d.com. It´s an extensive polygon modeling toolset for Maya.

It´s often used to emulate SubD´s workflow by smoothing a lowpoly cage in realtime. (Thus eliminating the need to smooth at certain steps the poly cage to check progress).

# 17 15-07-2003 , 07:18 AM
Part2- What other medthod can achieve the same result?

Even though it does not represent the same result, I assume you are refering to SubD´s modelling.

SubD´s or Subdivision Surfaces are the very next thing in modelling. Many VFX houses are accomodating their pipelines to allow SubD´s workflow.

It´s actually a merge between the easy of handling of Polygons with the smoothness of a Nurbs surface. CPS was actually created to emulate this workflow for machines that had Maya Complete in times it did not offer SubDs.

Taken from Docs
Modeling with subdivision surfaces is an easy way to create intricate objects such as human hands. It offers the best techniques of NURBS and polygonal modeling, and includes several unparalleled features.

Like NURBS surfaces, subdivision surfaces are smooth and can be shaped using relatively few control vertices. Like polygonal surfaces, you can extrude areas of a surface to add appendages or other irregular shapes. For instance, you can extrude four fingers and a thumb from a palm-shaped object.

An important distinction of subdivision surfaces is that you can build a perfectly smooth, complex object, for instance a dog, from a single primitive. There's no need to create separate pieces and stitch them together, as is often necessary with NURBS surfaces. There are no seams that can break apart during animation.

With a subdivision surface, you can modify its shape at various levels of detail to suit your needs. If you are creating a thumb, for instance, you alter its entire diameter by scaling a small number of vertices. If you next want to create a lumpy knuckle, you switch to a higher number of vertices at the desired region and drag vertices into the desired shape. You can switch between the different levels of detail as often as necessary.

Last edited by adldesigner; 15-07-2003 at 07:20 AM.
# 18 15-07-2003 , 08:59 AM
Subscriber
Well explained adl.

More probing....

"CPS was actually created to emulate this workflow for machines that had Maya Complete in times it did not offer SubDs."

SO now as SubD is part of complete would you use CPS? if yes then why?

Is it because of what you wrote-

"It´s often used to emulate SubD´s workflow by smoothing a lowpoly cage in REALTIME (Thus eliminating the need to smooth at certain steps the poly cage to check progress)".

grrrr

Last edited by slickrenderer; 15-07-2003 at 09:02 AM.
# 19 15-07-2003 , 09:22 AM
SO now as SubD is part of complete would you use CPS? if yes then why?

I believe I would try to model in SubD´s. A SubD surface can be VERY versatile. You can play with levels of detail far more easily than Nurbs for example, yet retain the familiar per face/vertex pulling workflow Poly´s offer.

However, SubD´s are far more taxing -as far as resources go- than CPS. So I guess it depends on everyone.

# 20 15-07-2003 , 09:53 AM
Subscriber
OK todays dumb Q is well and truely burried :-)

grrrr
# 21 15-07-2003 , 10:05 AM
Subscriber
"Tomorrow's dumb question TODAY!!"

Where does the name for the 3d software Maya come from ?

grrrr
# 22 15-07-2003 , 10:06 AM
Subscriber
Answer-

The word Maya comes from the ancient Indian/Hindu Sanskrit language (...as in Sub-continent India not native American Indian :-)

* The power of a god or demon to transform a concept into an element of the sensible world.

* The transitory, manifold appearance of the sensible world, which obscures the undifferentiated spiritual reality from which it originates; the illusory appearance of the sensible world.

*Maya – the illusion of the manifested world

P.S- Maya 3d software name has nothing to do with the South American Maya civilization.

grrrr
# 23 15-07-2003 , 12:32 PM

Thick

God You People Really Are Well And Truly Brain Dead If I Post My Nans E-Mail Adress Maybe She Can Answer Your Questions In Future!!!!!!!!

PATHETIC

user added image user added image

I Promise To miss behave - I Promise To miss behave - I Promise To miss behave - I Promise To miss behave
# 24 15-07-2003 , 02:50 PM
Subscriber
...and what is your point???**!!

The thread clearly states it's for betterment of dumb people and not for people like you who had Maya training in heaven and came out of the womb with a workstation in hand.

So go and play with your Nan and teach her Maya

Oh! and hand us your Nans E-Mail address so we can check on her progress ;-)

grrrr
# 25 16-07-2003 , 07:34 AM
Subscriber
What do people mean by organic modeling?

A human face is an organic model right? What is a car?
Wait Rosslands nan just mailed me and she reckons that a car is a
non-organic model. Way to go Rosslands NAN:-):-)
What if the car was full of curves and blobby in shape??

grrrr

Last edited by slickrenderer; 16-07-2003 at 07:40 AM.
# 26 17-07-2003 , 11:18 AM
Subscriber
Next question-

Why do some people use Nurbs and some Poly for charecter modeling. I know everyone uses whatever they prefer but one method has to be better than the other.
Why would someone do Nurbs patch modeling of the head when Poly is much easier?
What say you?

grrrr
# 27 17-07-2003 , 12:44 PM
Subscriber
for some people nurbs is easyer.
also, poly modeling sux in may compared to other programs (or so I hear)

<a href="https://www.d2lodshop.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">D2lodshop</a>
<a href="https://www.gatcity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">GAT City</a>
<a href="https://www.rhymbox.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">XMPP instant messaging</a>
# 28 17-07-2003 , 01:37 PM
Subscriber
"poly modeling sux in may "

What about in June? :-)

grrrr
# 29 19-07-2003 , 11:59 AM
Subscriber
I have run out of questions to ask :-) SO I close this thread :-)
I am amazed that there wer 600+ views. Means lot's of dumbo's around :-)

grrrr

Last edited by slickrenderer; 19-07-2003 at 12:12 PM.
# 30 19-07-2003 , 07:08 PM
That was all? ... this thread sucks now. user added image