Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 24-11-2005 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber

an Old Orc-ish fellow

Greetings, I realize there are a bunch of orcs floating around right now for some reason, but I didn't realize it was so un-original until after I alreadystarted haha.

anyway, here's my last useful update to it:

Sub-D. I plan to switch back into polygons for the rest of the body... guess I was a bit too hasty to give sub-d a try.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-11-2005 , 09:00 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Man I cant believe nobody has replied to this.

FB:

Looks very good so far, though could use a little more form on the chest as its too flat right now. Look forward to the rest

Jay

# 3 24-11-2005 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber
Looks really good man, would love to see a wire. user added image

# 4 24-11-2005 , 10:59 PM
Subscriber
Jay: Thanks, man. I think you may be right about the chest seeming too flat, I'll try to rectify that for my next update
BMS: Sorry, dude, but I was using Sub-D and the wires never look good in that stuff...

Anyway, went back to polys and did almost all i need to, I think. Tweaking and Unwrapping up next.

Throw some more crits my way if you get a chance user added image

user added image

and a wire:

user added image

# 5 24-11-2005 , 11:01 PM
3 letters for you. W O W
Prolly crits though, I would go for that there is something odd about the face, I really cant put my finger on it. But I really shouldn't crit, there is NO way I could do anything remotely close to that.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 6 24-11-2005 , 11:05 PM
Subscriber
no worries, Matt, there's no quota of experience that you must necessarily reach in order to crit on a piece haha.

Perhaps the face will look a bit better when I go into more detailing, we'll have to see. Thanks for looking user added image

# 7 25-11-2005 , 10:57 PM
Very nice... but are you using a tutorial? It looks very similar to this orc from a tutorial:

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 25-11-2005 , 11:13 PM
Subscriber
hmm that is interesting... I assure you, though, that I am not using a tutorial. It does look very similar... strange.

Anyway, there are some differences - just look at the wire. Any similarities are purely coincidental... I was modeling this mask

Anyway, I think I have the guy unwrapped decently... most of the unwrapping I've done was low poly so this is probably inefficient for non-game stuff

user added image

# 9 25-11-2005 , 11:45 PM
Subscriber
sweet, now off to texturing :attn:

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 10 26-11-2005 , 01:06 AM
looks like a pretty good uv-layout although it's common to give the head more uv-space since you usually want higher detail in that area.

# 11 26-11-2005 , 01:11 AM
Subscriber
DJbLAZER: Yeah, that's the main thing I was debating, I couldn't decide if I wanted an extra seam and more head detail or to just stick with a contiguous setup...
I guess I'll try it this way this time around... mainly since I'm not sure how to split the UVs of the head into a different channel haha. Afraid we haven't gone over much of anything on the UV front in class yet.
metallicjet66: Hey man, yeah hopefully I can pull a nice shader off user added image

# 12 26-11-2005 , 03:35 AM
hey, very good job of modeling! can you show more wires and close-ups of the face?
the amount of polys seems quite large...so, good luck with the uvs..
and then, are you gonna rig and animate as well??

# 13 26-11-2005 , 03:47 AM
Subscriber
utpal: Thanks, here are some wires of the face. Luckily the UV unwrapping wasn't terribly difficult. I probably won't rig and animate this if I take it back into Sub-D - mostly because I don't yet know how to rig within Maya.

here is a closeup of the face:

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Funky Bunnies; 26-11-2005 at 03:50 AM.
# 14 26-11-2005 , 10:13 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
FB:

Those Loops are spot on!! Nice Job!! Theres just the one on the cheek, the triangular quad that I would sort or get rid of entirlely

I would suggest taking DJBlazers advice with the uv layout though.

Keep up the great work

Jay

# 15 26-11-2005 , 02:28 PM
Subscriber
user added image great model.
but i think u can do more details with t he body still and fix some areas. like he has no niples modeled but he has a belly button.
and the thighs are too small.
i would make a seperate map for the head, and uv it seperately.