Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-03-2006 , 10:59 PM

Noob Rendering Question

Hi everyone,
first post here. I tried a search to see if this has been covered, but couldn't find anything that specifically addresses it, so I apologize if this is a repeat thread...just point me in the right direction if it is.

I just finished an animation that I would like rendered. However, when I try to render it, it goes AMAZINGLY SLOW...after 3 hours of render time, it only has 9 of 200 frames done. Is this typical? I know it probably depends on what's in the scene. I don't really have any lighting, have one particle generator with a turbulence and vortex field on it, couple of polygons and a few spheres, but that's about it. The camera is animating around the scene. I did the render optimization thing, don't have any raytracing (don't even know what it is!), and I followed that render video on this site. If anyone has any advice on speeding up the render (don't wanna wait 60 hours for a craptacular first scene) please let me know.

I have a PB 1.67ghz G4 w/ 1.5G of RAM if that makes any difference. If there's anything I can do to help answer the question, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

# 2 03-03-2006 , 12:35 AM
raytracing is slow-what can I say. sure, if its a complex scene with complex lighting, it can take several hours per render.

Most of my renders with Mental Ray can take up to 5-6 hours per frame.

maybe a screenshot of your lighting setup would help me see if somthing is going wrong???

Your processor aint that great either, that might slow stuff up a bunch.

hope this helps
Matt user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 03-03-2006 , 01:50 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually not using any raytracing or lighting. I'm trying (keyword: trying) camera mapping, so there are no lights in the scene, everything is lit by the incandescent values. There is actually a volume light I added to try and make fog, but was unsuccessful, looks more like red haze that just darkens the scene way too much...it also looks like it's adding a nasty seam, but that's a different topic.

You can view a screenshot of my scene here:
https://www4.ncsu.edu/~jereyes/maya_screen.tiff

and a render of a frame here:
https://www4.ncsu.edu/~jereyes/new_map471.tif

This is my first time modeling, animating, texturizing, etc. so I'm probably not doing things the most efficient way, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! :bow: Also just wanna say this place is great, so much experience and knowledge here, just makes me want to learn as much as I can.

# 4 03-03-2006 , 09:26 PM
lights would be much better-faster.

and as for raytracing- any render is ray tracing, even if theres no reflections or refractions, its still raytracing (i wont go too deep into that, I tend to get carried away.)

And, probably, the render times seem just right to me... now.

hope this helps
Matt user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 5 04-03-2006 , 01:36 AM
thanks matt!
I guess I just need to learn the norms of the program...i'll just leave it on overnight for a week user added image

I am actually curious about your raytracing comment. I find one of the best ways to really learn a program and to fully utilize it is to understand how it works. Do you think you could go more indepth about that if you have some free time? sorry, just my thirst for knowledge acting up again...

thanks again for your help