Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 13-11-2007 , 12:17 PM
Thanks gster
I'm probably going to use the first tip. For the second (clothing), I didn't really understand what you said, but I think I'll just combine the clothing with the model and skin everything afterwards ( or is it a problem user added image ? ).
Here's the wireframe you asked:
https://img162.imageshack.us/img162/4...rameiq0.th.png
Thanks again,
Benny

# 32 13-11-2007 , 12:39 PM
Hi Benny

i feel that some parts of your model could do with some refinement, have a look over on CGtalk in the maya topology thread, should give you some ideas, i'll post up my wires soon (when I get round to sorting out the proportions and completing the foot).

Also for the clothing, give it a go, if you model a tube theen model another one over the top with different topology and give it a go, I've never tried doing it the way you said.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 33 15-11-2007 , 08:02 AM

Palm Progress

# 34 15-11-2007 , 11:01 AM
Subscriber
I think you've gone too quickly into fine details like abs and nipples - but if you look at your other forms they have a good deal of things that are off about them. Always take a look at the bigger picture first. Does your model have clavicles? If so they should be lower, and the trapezius in the back shouldn't be the same shape as the front of the neck - it extends farther up and slopes up to the base of the skull. The overall shapes of a lot of forms are created by a lot of parallel loops that aren't doing anything in particular to adjust the form.

There are 2 big things to keep in mind when you're modeling a character. The deformation and the form. Right now it seems like you're focusing on what you've been told about the deformation - in that you need ___ edgeloops around a certain area for it to animate correctly. BUT you're neglecting the form. How many of those loops change the form. It's largely just cylinders. Take a look at your model in maya if you drag the incandescence all the way up within the viewport. Does it still read well as a human? If not what can you adjust so that it will?

It's actually pretty simple to fix these things. Just find a bunch of reference images for anatomy and maybe some for poly flow, study them a lot, use them as image planes, compose an image of a bunch of them put together so it's easier to look at - Use them to check your proportions and forms. Just doing these simple things can make a model a lot better. Strive to always use reference whenever you can.
Agh, sorry to write such a huge post, I hope this is helpful.

You've got a good start, you just need to keep going and use more reference!

btw, on your hands, the final segment of each finger is too short - it can be a little deceiving when you're looking at a back view of the hand because of the placement of the wrinkles, but look at your own hand from the side and notice the length of each joint. Doublecheck the placement of the pinky, it should probably be moved back a little bit. Also, the thumb is looking just like one of the other fingers, It should be slightly different - a different orientation, slightly fatter. You've got the right idea, it's looking pretty good so far

(I usually like screengrabs for wireframes, but you can turn on maya vector renderer, select 'Include Edges' and render it out - you may need to change the Min edge angle if you don't see anything, the settings are pretty intuitive.)

Sorry this is so long, keep going man user added image

Last edited by Funky Bunnies; 15-11-2007 at 11:05 AM.
# 35 16-11-2007 , 05:24 AM

Thanks Funky!

I took your advice about the clavicles (which I just added) and trapezius.
By the way, I DO think it reads quite well as a human. I'll post my latest update soon so you'll be able to judge it...

One more thing - I do use references a LOT! I collected a folder
with 1/2 MB full of them. When comparing the model to the reference, the only meaningful differences were (mostly as you said):
*thumb is too long *last segment of the pinky is too short *lack of fingers on the foot (which I'm about to fix soon)

One more thing - Can someone please post a topology and reference for a shoulder blade? I can't quite get it right...

One last thing - Where's 'Maya vector renderer'? Note: I know almost nothing about rendering

(Sorry for writing such a huge post. I had a lot to refer to... lol)
Thanks in advance,
Benny

# 36 16-11-2007 , 08:27 AM
Subscriber
sorry if my post came off as harsh, I wasn't trying to be. I'll be waiting for your next update. user added image

Maya vector renderer is just in your Render settings - if you don't see it in the dropdown list, you'll have to enable it in

Window->settings/preferences->Plugin Manager-> and check on VectorRender.

# 37 16-11-2007 , 11:24 PM

Progress

Originally posted by Funky Bunnies
sorry if my post came off as harsh...

Don't worry, you weren't.

About the vector render - it's very hard / impossible to correctly render anything more complicated than a cube... I think I'm going to stick with screen grabs user added image.
Here's what I've been up too lately:
https://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5715/temprf6.th.png EDIT: and the wireframe: https://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7985/temp2yu2.th.jpg
Lacking two fingers meanwhile... It proves to be a pain in the S modeling fingers from scratch. I think I should've used some cylinders first.

Last edited by BennyK; 16-11-2007 at 11:28 PM.
# 38 17-11-2007 , 12:06 AM
Hi Benny

The toes look a tad too long and they seem to come straight off the foot rarther than on an arc.

why dont you just detach one toe and then duplicate it, move/scale adjust then merge it to the foot rarther than doing each one individual?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 39 17-11-2007 , 06:05 AM

Thanks gster

I'm planing to work much more on these fingers before I'm done with them... BTW, duplicating may work, but I first need to adjust the base of the finger anyway, so it doesn't make much difference. It will when I get to the fingernails.

Also, I've done more work on the topology since: (Comments please)
Leg:
front: https://img105.imageshack.us/my.php?image=legfva0.jpg
back:
https://img126.imageshack.us/my.php?image=legbbg8.jpg
Body:
https://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8769/bodyxb7.th.jpg
Shoulder: front back
https://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6...derfvk0.th.jpghttps://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6...derbfw1.th.jpg
An image from a few posts ago, to see the difference:
https://img162.imageshack.us/img162/4...rameiq0.th.png

Last edited by BennyK; 17-11-2007 at 07:46 PM.
# 40 17-11-2007 , 08:31 AM
Subscriber
The topology is alright, but could have a lot of changes - that just takes more experience. Like the bit under the sternum, I'd get rid of that circular pattern. There are a lot of triangles under the head, I think it would be beneficial to turn those into edges to define the sternocleidomastoid.
Concerning the shoulder, I'd go with the muscular edgeloop method rather than the extrusion method.

The rest is mostly proportional issues. I know this is an old diagram, but it's the last one you have of the full body. I'm also pretty sure this isn't the physique or age you want, but this image shows some proportional issues either way.
The biggest problem is the size of the head and the consequent disappearance of a neck. Once you fix that and push the pecs up a bit a lot will fall into place.

Keep it coming user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 41 17-11-2007 , 07:44 PM
Thanks funky, I'll get working on it as soon as I finish with my fingers and fingernail on the leg.
By the way, I expect not to make much progress in the next few days...
Thanks again,
Benny

# 42 21-11-2007 , 04:31 PM

My Fingernails!!!

Ruined !!! user added image :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
I ****ING HATE POLY TO SUBDIVS!!! :angery: :headbang: :headbang: !
At least I have the wireframe in ImageShack... But not everything is visible.
Anyway, I'll have to start it all over again...

Attached Images
# 43 21-11-2007 , 05:15 PM

# 44 06-12-2007 , 09:59 AM
Hi everyone,
I haven't made much progress in a VERY LONG time (I've been pretty busy lately...) but I managed to fix the proportions.
*Not all the way through though, but it's much better now I think:
https://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6897/temp2ed1.th.png

I kind of lost interest in Maya since I now have other things to do, so I don't know whether I'm going to finish that project. I hope I'll find some time for that too...

# 45 06-12-2007 , 08:48 PM
It doesn't look accurately proportioned still a lot is still out.
Read Dynamic figure drawing or try and find books or sites describing proportion relationships in detail.