Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 91 01-08-2007 , 07:48 PM
Subscriber
Thanks guys,

here's a small update. I was wondering about lighting the scene so I had a bit of a play around and this is the result. It's just a start to get a feel of how I want it, things will change when I get the outside lighting and texturing sorted (not to mention the rest of the modelling!!).

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by happymat27; 01-08-2007 at 09:16 PM.
# 92 01-08-2007 , 11:13 PM
happymat - this is looking great and coming along really fast user added image

eveything has a nice feel to it - very creepy. the Death character is really cool.

# 93 01-08-2007 , 11:47 PM
Lookin ace Mat user added image

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 94 02-08-2007 , 01:50 AM
nice lighting idea, it gives a very good claustrophobic feel by not seeing into the dark areas user added image

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 95 02-08-2007 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber
Thanks fellas,

I've had a bit more of a play about with lights this afternoon, mainly illuminating the outside so that you can see the windows. I've also made a start on the bed bay curtains, in the attached image I have just made one set and duplicated it, in the end I'll have a few different variations of open to closed curtains that I can scatter randomly.

I've dropped DEATH into this render to see how he looks, excuse the crappy pose and as I said previously his texturing needs alot of work.

Cheers for your thoughts,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 96 02-08-2007 , 09:58 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
It's got a great atmosphere and you really pick nice if not great camera-angles.:bow:
Keep the renders coming

# 97 02-08-2007 , 10:38 PM
Hey Mat - I had a thought.... If u paint out the eye sockets so they r just black then add a pin prick of bright red for the eye balls? I'm not sure how that would look in any closeups though.

Dave.

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 98 04-08-2007 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber
Hello again,

and thanks for your thoughts.

Looking at that last render again, I think that I got DEATHs scale wrong... he needs to be bigger. Good job it was just a test!!

mastone: you're too kind.

Dave: I already have a couple of ideas for DEATHs eye sockets and I'll add your suggestion to the list, cheers.

Here's a little progress report on the hospital set, I sorted the bed bay curtains (not that you can see them in the shadows!!) and have added bedside trolley/tables (shadows again!). One thing you'll definately be able to see is the bed blankets, I made these with Maya cloth, draped over a rough model of a person lying down.

Not sure what to do next........ as the sun's out I think I'll go to the park with the kids!!

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 99 04-08-2007 , 01:20 PM
Looking great man,

I would be tempted to add a bit of variation to the chairs positions, random it up a bit, so to speak.

I would be tempted to add one eye to death, hehe like I did in the challenge!, that way its a bit freakey and it can direct where hes looking, in my mind a great shot would be death looking around with the camera very close to his eye maybe have his pupil diolate when he sees what hes after (via a animated texture made say in flash using the start and end images and tween it, rendering it out as a jpeg sequence, actually I think you might be able to do it with image ready the same way you do an animated gif but save it as jpegs) Might add a good bit of emotion, if its needed of course as youve kept the storyboard well under wraps!

Think I might give my idea a go myself just to see if can be done!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 100 04-08-2007 , 02:38 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Steve,

I'll be moving things around once the everything is modeled and textured but for the moment I'm keeping it all pretty uniform for ease.

I hadn't thought of having an actual eye for DEATH, I'll try it out once I've got bored..... erm I mean once I've finished modeling and texturing the hospital scene.

Later,

Mat.

# 101 04-08-2007 , 02:53 PM
Cool,

I reckon a little mel script would randomise the rotations and positions etc, also might be good to note it for your project, give it more boom, for the markings etc!

Well crack on, want to see this one!

Whens the project due in march??

Also out of interest, do you have to put in various progress reports along the way? Proposal, lit survey etc etc ?? If you do give me a shout as I went through it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 102 04-08-2007 , 04:19 PM
Subscriber
Cheers Steve,

yeah it's due March/April I think, it's a bit daunting really but I'm making progress on the preparation so some pressure is being lifted.

I'll definately take you up on some advice regarding proposal presentations etc. as I haven't got a clue about them.

Anyway, I rekon this is the final one for this week (although I may find time over the weekend to get something done!), I've made a shader for the bed frames, tweaked the outside lighting a touch again and most noticably made a texture for the floor (it still needs a bit of work but it's definately getting there).

user added image

I rekon I've probably done some more stuff but there's so much going on at the moment I forget!

Cheers again,

Mat.

# 103 05-08-2007 , 10:39 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
love the environment how lon have you been at this man

# 104 05-08-2007 , 11:04 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
good job, but maybe add some specular and a slight bump on the floor.(just my two cents)user added image

# 105 05-08-2007 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber
Thanks guys,

murambi: I've been working on the hospital set for about 5 days now and with Maya for a little over 3 years. Still got plenty to learn!!

mastone: cheers for the input, there are lready 2 bump maps and a normal map on the floor shader, I've attached an image of the hypershade network so far. I'll look into upping the specularity, perhaps making the white tiles slightly more so than the green ones.

Cheers again,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails