Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 76 23-09-2004 , 01:02 PM
Subscriber
I went to Bournemouth, graduated this year.

I'd say that studying at the NCCA is definitely one of the best ways to get into the industry (in the UK anyway). The course is ace, and has excellent ties with the industry. There is alot of support and great teaching, and they help with finding 2nd year students placements with huge companies like MPC and Framestore-CFC. It is VERY competitive to get on the course now though, as it is so popular, and you need to be prepared to learn maths and programming...which can be a bit of a turn off for purely artistic people.

Anyway, just my 2 pence worth.

www.bournemouth.ac.uk
https://ncca.bournemouth.ac.uk

user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 77 23-09-2004 , 01:20 PM
Subscriber
Well I have just started week 2 of my 11 week course at Escape Studios and it is going really well, that's how I hope to get into the industry.

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...ghlight=escape

There is a good debate going on there about the advantages and diassadvantages of University course or intensive training course (like Escape). Might give you an insight into what to do.

_LIVID

# 78 01-11-2004 , 05:58 PM
Yeeha, I got a job and because of that I haven't been here a while. I'am making some weapon models/pic's for a browser basic game. Actually this is test job and I get a small salary and if everything goes well I can do everything what there is to do user added image

Noo0ooB... beginner... novice... newby... I'am new ! ! !

VERY BAD ENGLISH !
# 79 01-11-2004 , 06:50 PM
dose anyone know anything about the academy of art in san fran, and the art institutes? if so what do you think of them?

Imagination will always lead to knowledge, while knowledge may not necessarily bring fourth imagination.
# 80 01-11-2004 , 07:40 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey dude
Maybe they have a web site you can view...
_J

# 81 01-11-2004 , 07:47 PM
ive checked out thier sites and stuff, im just trying to see what other ppl think of them

Imagination will always lead to knowledge, while knowledge may not necessarily bring fourth imagination.
# 82 02-11-2004 , 08:29 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Cool

# 83 02-11-2004 , 10:25 PM
The Maya Mountain
Can't say I've heard one way or another about them.

# 84 03-11-2004 , 10:48 AM
hi guys
I have just read thru this thread and it fascinates me to see the state of the 3d industry around the world. It appears that if you want to earn the big $$$ do something else unless you are in the top 2%. Doing it for love seems to be the key altho like murph... we need to feed the bears! (family)
I am in New Zealand and there is a small industry over here as well as Weta (Lord of the Rings) studio's. Incidentally they get over 120 showreels a week on average.
I have a Master of arts etc and still can't get a job doing 3d here so I am doing the volunteer thing. Any 3d job that I can get my hands on, I try to do, to get experience and to beef up the show reel.
You will be amazed at how much you learn even from a small volunteer job. If you can get paid for it, more power to you! Just don't be fussy I guess.

<font size=3 face=arial color=blue>S U R F E R M C D </font><br>
<font size=2 face=arial color=blue>www.winteractiv.com</font>
# 85 03-11-2004 , 02:34 PM
People always seem to forget that not every 3D gig has to be feature films or games. Look at broadcast graphics or commercials....just about every commercial today has 3D elements and compositing. So, modeling and texturing a dancing bottle of Palmolive may not be the the most glamorous thing in the world....it's the bread and butter.

I think a smart route to take for the creative would be to go to school for advertising and learn the applications along the way...or concentrate on 3D work as a graduate study......or if you want to go the more technical route, major in computer science and focus on 3D.

I've heard good things about the Academy of Art but that it's expensive. Ringling School is also supposed to be good. There's a stickied thread at CGtalk that links to various schools and there are lots of conversations about them.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 86 03-11-2004 , 03:34 PM
The Maya Mountain
That's very true. Lots of other possibilities out there for 3D Artists.

As mentioned, commercials, but also television intros for news broadcasts and special events like that (such as the big election graphics they have going on right now or for events like Monday Night Football, etc).

There's also stuff like legal work for reconstructing accidents. Medical work for creating virtual surgical procedures. Also, if you watch those Cold Case Detectives or the Discovery Channel (guess it's the Science Channel now) there are tons of CG models made to represent everything from murder scenes to tectonic plate movement below the earth. user added image

Lots of possibilities!

# 87 03-11-2004 , 03:55 PM
coincidentally those areas correspond to the very same big facilitys that also take charge of films and/or tv general production(at least here in spain) so cheers it is as easy to go in there to do a commercial as for a film...

AND they are expanding to tv channel identity and webdesign so tadaa less bread for the freelancers/smaller facilitys...

(who may indeed end making what they did before with direct contract but temporarily hired by the big producer for much less money... because yes the big production company did managed to pitch their superb quality and get the contract, but no they dont have enough in house personnel to implement all those contracts at the same time...)

Last edited by dragonfx; 03-11-2004 at 04:05 PM.
# 88 03-11-2004 , 04:02 PM
Mike hit a very valid point...you see reconstructions all the time...look at the stuff meteor studios does for the discovery channel or some of the 3D uses on National Geographic when showing how geology works...or how plane crashes happened...etc. Those are both higher-end clients obviously but the kind of work is definitely out there...try local news networks, even. NYU has a certificate program on Medical Visualization using Maya if that's your bag (be good at organic modeling for this one).

For myself, since I've been doing web work for so long and have had my hand in so many different areas from web/print design, 3D, advertising, etc., I think if I were starting out I would go for advertising with a minor in whatever your goal is. The reason I say this is it gives you more the aesthetic stuff like idea generation....conceptualizing...copywriting, etc alongside the basic "learning-photoshop" type of classes, which to me can be learned on your own if you have the drive for it. It's just a more practical approach in securing a livlihood especially in an oversaturated market like 3D, IMO. It makes you more marketable.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 89 03-11-2004 , 04:10 PM
i do have a 5yr degree on economics more precisely on "business administration and direction", thats why it reads B.A.D.
<--------there
wich includes a lot of marketing, advertising, market research, etc training

Everything else 3d,web,photography,photoshop and edition/postproduction either self taught or not official degree granting statal/european funded courses

Last edited by dragonfx; 03-11-2004 at 04:20 PM.
# 90 03-11-2004 , 05:35 PM
Subscriber
Sorry I havent been active in a long while. I see everyone else talking about the industry and there time served so I figure I should post mine too.

I schooled myself in 3d for 4 years right here on this board and others like it. Went and got a job in the toy industry then used my CAD and prototype experience to improve production with Maya. That was definatly my lucky break #1. After that, I went into home design with a couple of people and made a bit of money freelancing. Now, I'm working with a few films in post. Still freelancing for the toy company once and a while just so I can play with star wars stuff.

I guess I can say that I didnt make my career in 3D, but rather, 3D made my career(s) better. Theres money out there to be made, go get it.

Oh and PS. SimplyMaya, IOU one.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>