Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 19-04-2003 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber
Also, I have found that I am more motivated to model something if I'm modeling it for someone else and not myself. Recently, I was "hired" by a friend to make a simple radiation logo for his new company. I would never in my life want to make a radiation symbol just to make it. However, when I was asked to make the logo, I changed into a different mode. Suddenly, I felt the need to make it the most perfect radiation symbol of all time. I had an obligation to please my friend and do a good job, so I put a lot of effort into it.

I don't know how old you are or if you're already in the 3D industry or not, but maybe you could look for simple jobs that require a modeler to make something or if you're younger, round up a few friends and ask them what to create. Start your own company and make a logo or something.

Another thing that drives me is the need to accumulate enough models and animations to fill up my portfolio. A good portfolio is needed if you plan to go into the 3D business. Ask yourself "what would an employer like to see in a portfolio?" then make it.

# 32 19-04-2003 , 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Darkware
Also, I have found that I am more motivated to model something if I'm modeling it for someone else and not myself ...

... Another thing that drives me is the need to accumulate enough models and animations to fill up my portfolio. A good portfolio is needed if you plan to go into the 3D business. Ask yourself "what would an employer like to see in a portfolio?" then make it.

I agree with you DarkWare. Sometimes you get far more motivated if you´re doing something for someone.

# 33 19-04-2003 , 10:23 PM

Originally posted by Darkware

I don't know how old you are or if you're already in the 3D industry or not, but maybe you could look for simple jobs that require a modeler to make something

lol...I just started with maya..you are looking far in the future

# 34 24-04-2003 , 01:24 PM
Hi EagleKing,

Welcome to the 'vertical learning curve of Maya'. Yep, Maya is a complex animation system.

You are not alone!!!!!!

My suggestions for inspiration and learning are:

become obsessed!!!
Ask questions (the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask)

Keep it simple, that goes for learning and for projects.

Keep your feet on the ground. Most people would love to create ILM quality stuff in a week or two of learning. The most important thing (as many have said (tackle a small project and complete it). This is by far the easiest way to learn. But not my experience (I wish it was).

Learn from others (do not reinvent the wheel, I repeat do not reinvent the wheel, I repeat do not reinvent the wheel, I repeat do not reinvent the wheel ad infinitum.....................

Remain teachable and you will go far.

As for insiration.....

I feel my best stuff comes when I'm not trying 'too hard'. And is usually a response to life.
Hope this is at all helpful

And on a final note,

as to whether one can become proficient at all areas of 3d?

It is a sound idea to have a good grounding in all areas of 3d if only to understand the process.

An expert,

Most people don't have the time or aptitude to become highly proficient in all areas. I know that when I was a kid I preferred making the sandcastle not the playing in it afterwards........

re Jim

Mayan elder......only in years.....

Last edited by Jim; 24-04-2003 at 01:55 PM.
# 35 24-04-2003 , 07:11 PM
O_O...you wrote a lot.
Thanks for all tipps. user added image

# 36 28-04-2003 , 08:54 AM

# 37 28-04-2003 , 08:56 AM

# 38 28-04-2003 , 09:20 AM

Originally posted by adldesigner
*cough* Sometimes you do get paid for the projects ... user added image *cough*
God, I´m a b*stard, I know it, I am ...user added image

LOL
Yes, yes you are user added image

:p

# 39 28-04-2003 , 11:52 PM
Subscriber
Yeah. I like what I am reading. I too am new to modeling. I had the first video toaster years ago and had to sell it to feed the kids. Now after all these years I have Maya 4.0, Which I just looked at for the first few months from fear of finding out how much I would suck at it.
When I found This forum, and then another, I was able to see that what everyone is saying really works... Progress not Perfection. I work all the tutorial I can and am slowing getting the hang of what I am trying to learn.
Just hang in and check out everything in the wips. This teaches me what I want to know, then I can go search for a tut or advice to learn it.

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
Chris
essahc@sbcglobal.net
# 40 29-04-2003 , 05:10 AM
Subscriber
Eagleking, I didnt have time to read all of this.. but I do have to say that maya along with anything else depends on your ability to understand the 3rd dimension, time, practice, hard work, and more practice user added image. If your talented in that field though (as some are) it will make a difference at how fast you pick things up. Another thing you have to understand is if for example you keep making towers, or something simple in maya... you will never get better. If instead you think of what you could model that would tend to a certain area your lacking in.. then thats how you get better in those areas.. then next time set a even higher goal user added image. Maya truly is a INTENSE program and not something that the average population on this planet could learn. Photoshop as well is a program that you can learn from a book... and then takes practice.. but it is not on the same scale as maya. Just remember that if you want to take the path of 3d modeller or anything in that area, your up for one hell of a ride user added image. (woohoo!)

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 41 29-04-2003 , 01:44 PM
hehe...thanks a lot...I got thousands of ideas in the last week.
I wrote them all down so I can make them later. First I have to finish the AK 47.

# 42 19-05-2003 , 08:33 AM
Exactly M..... the attitudes that bring success in any endeavor also apply in this field.
The Kiss Theory is a personal favortie:

K I S S
E T I T
E * M U
P * P P
* * L I
* * E D

Add some common sense and confidence and you
will get far. Just always remember who you were
and where you where headed when you started.

PS<> check out my thread "Let Em Vent" in the members lounge!!!

"Si vis pacem para bellum" if you desire peace, prepare for war.

Last edited by PonysGirl; 19-05-2003 at 08:48 AM.
# 43 21-06-2003 , 08:33 PM

Re: I feel depressed...

Originally posted by EagleKing
I feel so f***ing depressed.
I started to learn maya two weeks ago. I did all included tuts.
Now I wanna make something myself.Without any templates or some tuts. Someone here told me I could make The-Jack-in-the-box. I tried all but I cant get something good. I cant get the edges smoothed...I cant make the hole in the middle...only the jack face looks cool...

I feel so depressed cuz I wanted to become a good modeler like you all in some years. user added image

just found that post again....now I laugh about it user added image

# 44 24-06-2003 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
I just read the whole damn thread - nice discussion - way to go Eagle King - I started by modeling a sphere! Then I had to search for the menu to change the color. I did nothing else but study 3d for a year and a bit and I progressed.

I'm lucky enough to have found a job - for the time being at least. Set your standards high and work hard - if you don't have 12 hours a day to devote to 3d no matter - work hard in the 1 hr or whatever it is you have. You'll get there.

As for non - paying jobs - nothing wrong with that WHEN you're at that level. Once you go beyond it's out of the question. I see a lot of ads for non-paying work on AWN. If that's where you're at there's nothing wrong with going and getting the experience. Once or twice. Become nobody's b*tch but get your name out there user added image

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>