Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 31 07-01-2007 , 12:17 AM
Hey - excellent idea for a thread Jay - lots of useful info so far.

user added image user added image

I thought I might post this low poly zombie which I have been working on for the last week. the ears haven't been attached yet.

it would be good to hear any advice for working on game characters as well.

Attached Thumbnails
# 32 07-01-2007 , 01:03 AM

Originally posted by Jay

DJ: As you can see four sided (possible from NGons causing the patches)

I see that it's dividing the four sided sometimes yes... but I wonder why... that's just making it less clean to look at. But what do you mean with "possible from NGons casuing the patches"? An NGon usually means a polygon with more than 4 sides and as far I can see this model has only four sided polys.

# 33 07-01-2007 , 01:44 AM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by arran
it would be good to hear any advice for working on game characters as well.

Mike would be the best man for that, but from what I learned on my 8 monh stint on an Indie Project, was if a texture can do the job don't model it. The eyes for example can be part of a facial texture, so there is little need to go into mass detail on the face, save the poly count for something else.

If you have Steam and own HL2 get the SDK and have a look at some of the models (7,000+ polycounts), the textures are great and if you have XSI you can import them for a more detailed look. Modelling for games is all about limitation and your budget. How many polys we can spend on each main character? How many polys we can spend oneach secondary character? How many polys the engine will allow on screen at anyone time? the list is endless. But hey thats why Art Directors get paid the big bucks :p

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 34 07-01-2007 , 09:56 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
DJ

Go back to page 1 of the thread (I think) you'll see a layout of polys I did for this thread, N Gons are there...

Vlad: thanks for posting that up, I have that too, I believe Stahlberg had his 'fingers in the pie' on that one, in fact yes it mentions it at the bottom of the image. Its a good image to use. I started out looking at that and stuff by Bay Raitt (The Edge Loop Master) and just worked my own theory from the two.

Arran: Great stuff, we should mix the thread up with Game and Hi res meshes, Im sure people would apprecaite it here. And yeah lets give Mike a shout

MIIIIKEEE!!

Cheers
Jay

# 35 07-01-2007 , 10:07 PM
thanks for the tips R@nSiD.user added image

Yeah, Ive got HL2 and have been meaning to download the sdk. I don't have XSI, but I remember that some guy had imported a half life model into maya a while back...

It'd be good to see some other low poly models in this thread.

# 36 08-01-2007 , 09:46 AM
Subscriber
Sorry bout the late reply, had to format computer and reinstall everything :S what a hassel, luckily i backed up my maya things user added image

Thanks jay, appreicate it user added image this will help me alot for when i start to model lower res models. especially this topology i like even more, soo smooth and clean lol.

hey R@nSiD, are you telling me there is a way to see HL2 models? how awesome! where abouts can i get sdk...

marlon

# 37 08-01-2007 , 04:05 PM

# 38 09-01-2007 , 08:02 AM
Hey Guys

Nice SDK stuff but a little off topic, try not to let it spiral...

Cheers
Jay

# 39 11-01-2007 , 10:51 AM
ok - let's see your palms!

just wondering how you resolve the underside of the hand - this is a picture of my palm from the current challenge - keep in mind i haven't really done too much to it yet, but I am just curious to see how others have handled the same area.
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 11-01-2007 , 11:50 AM
All the best with it Arran

Jay

user added image

# 41 11-01-2007 , 11:53 AM
cool! cheers Jay! user added image

# 42 11-01-2007 , 12:04 PM
And here's a low poly hand I did a while back ago.

Attached Thumbnails
# 43 11-01-2007 , 12:13 PM
Senior Software Developer
Jay,

Much love to you. I don't think you really know how much this sticky is helping.

Thanks a lot from everyone...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 44 11-01-2007 , 01:10 PM
R@nsid

thank you, it's not a problem.. have fun with it all,

Jay

# 45 11-01-2007 , 01:48 PM
Subscriber
nice hand jay lol