Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 22-05-2005 , 07:40 PM
Subscriber

SEEKING MR MT MCKINLEY'S ATTENTION!!!!

(am sorry for posting this message again. the last message i posted, i couldnt able to upload the image. and when i tried to edit, there was no link to uplad the image)

Hello SIr, am Gautam from india. Here is the following model i have almost finished working on (some very less tweakings still left). And am including this in my demo reel.

Being ur sincere admirer and honest follower of all ur video's, i want u to comment on this model as to where it needs improvements or lacks any plus points.

Would be really glad to hear ur comments. And once u have replied back, i want to ask about a very unusual problem in this model (which am unable to solve from the begining).

But first, am waiting for ur comments.
Best wishes to everyone here at SM,
Gautam.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 22-05-2005 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
Don't know about mike but i'd say the first area that needs improvement is the red area. These wings seem to have no thickness to them, are they just a single poly thick? The second area is the green area. There just seems to be a lack of detail around the cockpit. Third the wings in the blue area, although they look better than the ones in the red because they have some thickness they don't seem to have much shape and i don't know how well a plane with flat wings would fly.

EDIT: - btw, what is the problem you can't solve. We might be able to help.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 22-05-2005 , 08:43 PM
Subscriber
Can ya please tell me what sort of details should i add to the cockpit??? And where can i get the detailed view of the cockpit so that i can use it as a reference image and model it accordingly!!!

# 4 22-05-2005 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
Maybe add the framework holding the glass, add some transparency to the glass and a rough cockpit. Unless of course it's for a game, then you can just texture the framework and leave the glass black. Here's a couple of images.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 22-05-2005 , 09:01 PM
Subscriber
and the other.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 22-05-2005 , 11:04 PM

an honest and sincere review of your work:

first off welcome to SM.

For a start you should post this in the WIP section, that's what it's for. user added image

as for the model it's basic at best. The modelling needs serious work. You have the basic shape down but as ckyuk said some of the model has zero thickness whatsoever, there's no greebles or anything like that that really help "sell" the model. What reference did you use? What i would suggest is using a LOT more reference before you even begin so that you get better results. Are you going for games or film work with this?

The texture maps on the model are pretty basic too, no details just repeated textures and lareg areas where there is no texture (e.g. the rectangular boxes on the wings). The circular insignias also look very blurry what res texture is on there? Also metal will only look like metal if it reflects it's environment, get some reflections in there!! user added image

The light glows look very fake too, probably because they are not illuminating the wing metal that they are next to. i suggest dumping them as they are very distracting.

All in all probably not demo reel material just yet user added image

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 22-05-2005 , 11:25 PM
The Maya Mountain
You shouldn't limit yourself to just one person's critique. user added image While I'm flattered that you seem to find my opinion important, it's no more important than everyone else's!

I think the comments that have been given so far are very valid.

The craft seems out of proportion, although I admit to not being an expert in the field of aircraft. Did you use reference? I would highly recomend doing so.

I'd say its a good start, and with a bit more work, can be very nice. Don't forget render quality, lighting, and shaders can be just as important as modeling!

Good luck.

# 8 23-05-2005 , 09:25 AM
Subscriber
btw, if you go to the Lockheed Martin site you will find loads of really hi-res reference images of this plane.

# 9 23-05-2005 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber

Alan, need to ask somethings...

Well i totally agree with u of what all u said. I couldnt help witht he texture as this was all i could find on the internet. I know using a hi-res texture image for this plane would have made it looked much better. So please help me out if u can find out any hi-res image on the internet for this F22 plane.

Now coming to the question. I want to know how exactly i can add "roundness" to the edges (which look sharp as the wing edges and the flaps). Am attaching a pic so that it would be more clear of what i want to ask...

In 3d studio max, we have something called "Chamfer Box" which has round edges. Am also aware of the bevel tool in maya, and i have tried using it to smooth it, but its tough as the other geometry also gets disturbed.

So please tell me a simple way to smooth the edges and i will try to correct most of the gemoetrical faults.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 24-05-2005 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber
I haven't got maya down here so i don't know if this is where what i'm talking about is, but i think if you select the edges you want to soften and click Edit Polygons>Normals>Soften/Harden>Option Box then slide the slider towards soften and click ok.