Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 14-09-2005 , 07:24 PM
Subscriber

ATI FireGL v5000

Hey I bought a Fire GL v5000 and I wanted to hook the card to my TV, but the slot in the back that I thought was S video looked DIFFERENT! When I looked at the settings for this card I didn't even see a setting to even connect to your tv screen, so I was thinking can this card connect to it? What kind of cable to I need? Or if theres a converter? I didn't want to open my my PC to get the serial number and register so I figured I'd try my luck here first before disconnecting everything. :-p

# 2 14-09-2005 , 09:34 PM
Tubby
Its not a s-video output, its a stereo 3D output port !

ATI's spec sheet has no mention of TV out for v5000.

At the end of the day the cards designed for CAD and 3D work so why would they stick a low res tv output on the card.

Link to ATI FireGL V5000 Manual (PDF)

Last edited by Tubby; 14-09-2005 at 09:50 PM.
# 3 14-09-2005 , 10:55 PM
Subscriber
DOH!! that sucks.:headbang:

I wanted to view stuff to see how it looks on my TV, I guess I can't do that with this card. user added image

Whats the use for stereo 3D slots?

# 4 15-09-2005 , 09:44 AM
for using stereo 3D devices? user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 5 15-09-2005 , 10:38 AM
PCs look crap on normal tvs they can't handle the resolutions that yoru monitor can.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 19-09-2005 , 06:39 AM
Subscriber
I already know they look like crap on TV. I use it to test out the colors on the TV when editing, because that's the format you're going to be watching it in, on the TV. This new card can't do that so I'm sad. user added image

# 7 19-09-2005 , 06:15 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Anhslaught
I already know they look like crap on TV. I use it to test out the colors on the TV when editing, because that's the format you're going to be watching it in, on the TV. This new card can't do that so I'm sad. user added image

Ok ok, I'm probably gonna regret this, but I'll trade it for my Radeon 9600 then, it's got tv-out... Man I'm gonna regret doing this tomorrow! user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 8 19-09-2005 , 07:25 PM
Subscriber
Haha funn guy, sure ill trade it.(along with a few more hundrud bucks) lol

# 9 19-09-2005 , 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
PCs look crap on normal tvs they can't handle the resolutions that yoru monitor can.

user added image
A

Not necessarily though -- interlacing is a poor man's antialiasing... it degrades the picture just enough I can't see jaggies. Many current-gen console games look better than their PC counterparts IMO. You can only see jaggies if you look at it up close: Sure -- that's because the picture quality is degraded too much to see them, but whatever works.

For a FireGL -- you'd expect sVideo out being that they're commonly used in compositing and DV editting -- which its good to use a TV for.

Where's my 1080p out! :p

# 10 19-09-2005 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber
Yeah exactly what you said, it's for compositing and video editing, why can't it connect to the TV?? user added image
You only really notice the quality loss in texts, but the picture quality a lone I don't really notice it unless I compare to screen turned on at once.

I was thinking though, I have an HD tv now, so it might even read the texts better than before wouldnt it? user added image

# 11 20-09-2005 , 10:06 AM
Tubby
You could always install a PCI video card with TV out, then you have the best of both worlds.