Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 30-03-2006 , 12:18 AM

Combining, maya locks up

I am trying to do an animation and if I try to rotate my model all the bits turn on there own axis. I am trying to overcome this by combining all the bits, but when I try to combine very occasionally it works but most of the time the cursor just turns into an egg timer and the computer just stays like it. Two questions, 1. is combining the best way around this problem and 2. any idea why the cursor just turns into an egg timer and nothing else happens. I have left it today for eleven hours but it still has not combined and the blue line at the top of the screen is grey.

I am running a 3GB duel core machine with 2 GBs of DDR2 ram on board so I don't think it is an under powered machine causing the problem

Thanks for your time
trikeman

# 2 30-03-2006 , 12:32 PM
Subscriber
hmm...that's strange about the combining locking up maya...don't know really how to fix that...try running the cleanup function on your mesh and optimize your scene file...see if that helps a bit.

What you might try as another option though is to just group the objects together (ctrl+g) and then rotate the entire group. They'll still be different pieces of geometry and can be selected separately in case u want to orient each individual piece by itself, but when u select the group (hit the up arrow when one of the items is selected) you'll be able to roate them all as if they were combined.

# 3 30-03-2006 , 04:18 PM
Thanks the group idea has worked, but can you give me any more info on the clean up function and optimize you spoke about. I don't know about everybody else but I think Maya is a good programme to use but the help system is not very good. It might just be me.

# 4 30-03-2006 , 05:28 PM
Subscriber
Glad that worked for you user added image

About the cleanup...it's under the polygons menu set Polygons->Cleanup
Open the option box...i normally do cleanup with just about everything selected...it'll get rid of any strange faces you have...and depending on options set, it'll remove any 5 sided faces, and some anomolies. I don't have maya in front of me right now, so i can't be more detailed about the options.

The scene optimize option is under the file menu. Check out those options as well...normally i use it with full options too. I gets rid of any static channels you may have (this'll make your render faster once animation is done if you don't have so many things keyed that arent even being changed), as well as a lot of other things. Reduces your scene size, etc.