Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-05-2007 , 10:29 PM
Subscriber

MEL??

Hi all, just trying to use MEL and I find that I can not enter anything into the script editor, it is a separate window if that makes a difference, but can enter MEL via the command line below the time line

any ideas?? i have a tut and the guy is entering MEL straight into the script editor ut I cant seem to do what he does, cant get past CH1. he says just go slow and follow me but i cant even get a sphere up unless i use the command line??

maybe something in prefs or some box i haven't ticked??

Muser added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 07-05-2007 , 06:36 AM
Not sure if you've tried this, but to execute the script (if that's your problem) in the script editor try pressing the <Enter> key on your number pad. The enter key next to the shift key will just create a new line. Hope this helps. And yes, the script editor is a separate window.

Or are you saying you can't actually type anything into the editor?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 07-05-2007 at 06:39 AM.
# 3 07-05-2007 , 01:11 PM
Subscriber
thanks, that would be the problem, i was using the wrong enter key

user added image

# 4 07-05-2007 , 03:46 PM
Ctrl + Enter (the one above your right shift key) or Ctrl + E do the same user added image

# 5 07-05-2007 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
cheers for that.., answers there for the PC and Mac user i would say user added image

# 6 07-05-2007 , 10:02 PM
hey Mirek

Hope everythings well.

If your learning MEL I would suggest that you get a syntax editor, theres a great one called Crimson

https://www.crimsoneditor.com/

I think that you might have to download the plug in for MEL and install it, what it does is allow you to see where your MEL commands are (as ther coloured compared to your instructions) and if brackets have been closed or not (which is a great help when your programming as thats one of the big things I always forget)

I think that a built in syntax editor in the Maya UI would be a great help.

Also crimson supports HTML, C++, Python etc etc etc.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 08-05-2007 , 03:31 AM

Originally posted by mirek03
cheers for that.., answers there for the PC and Mac user i would say user added image

Whoopsies; my bad! You're right, those are PC-specific keystrokes, sorry; I'm not sure about MAC keystrokes.

In the script editor, there should be a menu option called "Script," and the first thing on that menu should be "Execute." Right next to that should be the keystrokes.

# 8 08-05-2007 , 10:33 AM
Subscriber
severinianthony, i made a mistake too, i am getting confused having both of them here, i assumed its 'control-E' on the Mac too?? but.., best look for the shortcut...???

Steve, cheers mate, i just downloaded it, havent used it yet.., the tut Im using mentions it (or something like it) but Im unbelievably flat out at uni, haven't had any chance to do more of my WIP, the edit dept at uni keeps screwing up the sound (dont ask my how) and I am now on the fourth version of a total re-mix for two 30 second commercials. I seemed to be left with the pieces of a broken dream??

I have seen this editor (or something like it) in a dreamweaver tut too. Is it easy to use?? the plugin?? can I download it??

user added image

# 9 08-05-2007 , 12:04 PM
Subscriber
hope everything is well mirek. i have sent you an email a time or two but have not heard anything ..hope uni is well ...i have not seen any wip in awhile. i have stopped maya for a time but maybe pick it backup who knows ...cheers

# 10 08-05-2007 , 06:31 PM
Subscriber
hi mate, I sent you an e-mail this morning, may have been passing in the optics.., hope all is well, how's the babe??

dont use messenger at all any more, not enough time to chat,sounds stupid eh?? but its true, I got the BA and now Im doing honors and its ful on, i dont have enough time to even do my WIP

# 11 08-05-2007 , 07:53 PM
Hi Mirek

The "plug in" is just another language that crimson can use, its downloadable form the same site in the languages tab, MEL might actuall be in it straight away.

It's easy to use, its just a text editor that knows the programming language and highlights commands and knows where open and the corriponding closing brackets are, unfortunatly it wont do bits for you (like some programming softwares that ive used in the past) but you can visulise the start's and the stops of the script which is a great help, when you get chance to use it you'll see what it does as its a bit hard to describe. (you still have to cut and paste your script into the script editor and run it form there as it's not intergrated into maya)

Its probably used in a dreamweaver tutorial as it can understand, CSS, HTML, XML Jarva, etc etc

Hope you get everything sorted for uni mate.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 12 09-05-2007 , 06:00 AM
Subscriber
I'm a fan of ConTEXT, but they're all more or less the same.

For MEL specifically if you've got the cash MEL studio is well worth it, though. It's a plugin for maya.

# 13 09-05-2007 , 08:28 AM
Subscriber
thanks guys, we're really getting some good stuff here

you wont believe this.., I have the lead role in one of Australia's biggest bands film clip.., id never heard of them when I agreed, thought it some dinky band desperate for cheap labour (A$200) I dont watch 'top of the pops' stuff, they saw a little movie I made, an anti drug movie for mobile phone in cool crush and bleach bypass (AE presets) where I blow my head off using just my hand, sort of playing like a kid, pow pow pow and then POW/

anyway, I have the first rehearsal in one hour and Ive never acted before in any serious fashion

strange world, anything can happen???

you might see me on MTV (today the 'cops', tomorrow the world) :bow: user added image

this is the face to launch a million records (??????)) I am supposed to look like the mulburo man (cowboy loner) that smoked one too many pipes of crack, I dont know if getting this job is an insult or a compliment user added image

Attached Images

Last edited by mirek03; 09-05-2007 at 08:33 AM.