Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 21-06-2004 , 08:06 PM
Subscriber

Soften problem Normals?

Hi,
I'm doing some headstones for a graveyard at the moment and attempting one of those with a 'Bible on the front' but am having problems 'Sotening the Normals' of the 'shoulders" of this poly model. (Always get that horrid crease down middle of the back part)
I have tried different "Hard/Soft" settings, but after a while I thought??? it may be something to do with the Normals being different because I duplicated it...or something....
I have tried some of the other EDIT POLYGONS > NORMALS .......... options but i'm only guessing really...

Any ideas how to rid the crease and still soften the back part?

Pic enclosed.... (Sorry I didn't mean to include the bok in the 'softening' - but you can see the crease on the back )

Regards as ever Scraggy

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 21-06-2004 , 08:41 PM
Subscriber
It looks like you didnt connect the back to the front. Select both the shapes go to polygons> combine, and then merge all your verticles together, this can be done by going to polygons> merge verticles.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 3 21-06-2004 , 09:02 PM
Subscriber
ok thanks - I did just do a "vertex merge" come to think of it, I will check thanks....

Scrags

[EDIT] - Plus thanks a LOT I had had to do without Maya for 6Mths and was a noob then !- I had totally forgot about Polygons>Combine since, - I was just using "group" DOH!

Good job I started with Nurbs (only just done Poly's after a crash and loss) so you have REALLY helped thx user added image

Scraggy

Last edited by Scraggy_dog; 21-06-2004 at 09:18 PM.
# 4 22-06-2004 , 11:33 AM
Subscriber
glad to have helped user added image

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX