Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-09-2005 , 08:07 PM

Freezing Ocean

Hello,

I want to make a special effect in Maya.
I've got an Ocean (fluid effects) and I want this ocean to freeze, beginning at the back of the screen to the front.
The part that is not freezed must move normally, and the part that is frozen must stay still and change color (ice ,white color).

How can I do this with Maya fluid effects ?

thank you,

Al

# 2 24-09-2005 , 09:23 PM
First, I have 3 questions for you:

Are you trying to animate the ocean freezing?

Or are you just looking for a shot of background frozen ice resting on top of your moving ocean?

Also, what version of Maya are you using?

Thanks! I'll try to help if I canuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 25-09-2005 , 08:16 AM
Hello,

Yes, I want to make an animated freezing Ocean.

Using Maya 7

Thanks,

Al

# 4 25-09-2005 , 03:32 PM
Dam..... hehe, I knew you were going to say thatuser added image hehe..

Ok, my first thought is ALWAYS going to be about the bigger picture in terms of render-time.

My first initial thought would be to simply pick your favorite frame in your fluid sim, and convert your fluid to polygons, and shade it with "ice-like" shader system, or if you are adventurous, or have the render power, a sub-surface scattering shading network.

Although, you state that the ice shelf wont be the main detailed feature in your shot, so you can save render time, by just applying a generic ice shading network available in the Shader Libraryuser added image

Then you have your good looking "solid" ice shelf that you can layer on top of your current fluid moving ocean in your compositing app.

Then, assign a noisy gradient to "reveal" the frozen ice layer in your compositor to make it look as if that part of the water is "freezing.

Does that help?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 25-09-2005 , 05:25 PM
Hello, thanks ragecgi.

Is it also possible in Maya alone, without compositing ?

Al

# 6 26-09-2005 , 07:32 AM
Subscriber
This is an effect thats more for compositing than anything in fact, as a visual effects artist, this would be a much simpler and is a much more effective way of doing it.

The catch is you will have to have 2 ocean shaders, pick a frame where the ocean is going to be frozen, and then make the entire frozen ocean static by putting the Wind Speed at 0, then all you have to do is texture your ocean which will be the hardest part of tweaking it....

then use after effects or shake and composite the two together... in shake you can use a rotoshape and/or quickpaint and animate curves to make a freezing motion and then just fix up the look using color correction and other sorts....

I know it sounds long, but that will be much easier unless you're a hard core MEL scripter and can query different points in the ocean...which is very very possible, but much more lengthy than what I mentioned...

I will say this, based on my experience, it can get VERY expensive turning fluids into polygons and adding the refracting shader in, especially if you are trying to pull this effect off....

# 7 29-09-2005 , 03:19 PM
if you had realflow, you would only need to increase density to solid.... too bad:headbang:

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 8 29-09-2005 , 04:29 PM
Hello,

thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to do the effect with Maya Fluids. I can make the ocean freeze by setting the time attribute to 0. But then again , the whole ocean freezes.
I want it to freeze partially, from back to front.

Will it be possible with RealFlow to freeze a part of the ocean with the density parameter, and will it be possible to get the same look of the Ocean like the Maya Ocean Effect with foam integrated ?

thx