Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-07-2003 , 09:01 AM
Subscriber

cloth question

Hi Everyone,

I didn't see a section on cloth so I hope its proper to post my question here.

How do I go about conforming a dress to a body? I have a dress object and a lady body object. The dress is a little bit big so I need to somehow shrink it to fir the body.

Thanks,
TC

# 2 08-07-2003 , 10:47 AM
Subscriber
a good start would be your manual. it has tutorials on how to make pants and a shirt i think. if you create clothes with maya, you always make it a little bit too big - bigger than you would make them in real life. they wrap itself to your body - and cloth has options for stretch resistance and all - playing with them can make the cloth tighter to the body. also important is a high enough resolution and appropriate solver scale and collision distance. the default cloth and collision object parameters are based on real size characters. and one maya unit is by default 1 cm - so a 6 feet human-kind character would be 183 units high. if you model at scale 15:1 about (the character would be 10 to 13 units about) you need to set the solver scale to 15 and make collision depth to something significant smaller than the default 1 (for me 0.05 usually works fine). also it depends on how you created the cloth object - but i advise you to always start from scratch and create curves -> panels -> garment and sew the necessary seams by hand. converting a poly object to a cloth object seams not to have enough freedom, imho. and it is more complicated, as you actually had to model the changes and not just need to increases the base resolution. basically to make the cloth object smaller, just scale the poly object or the curves that created tho panels smaller. as cloth is really sensitive to size change, you might want to consider scaling your model bigger so you dont loose the properties how the cloth falls down and wrinkles ...

# 3 08-07-2003 , 11:08 AM
Kevin
damn the duckling is on his way to MOTM for sure user added image

nice work ducky

# 4 08-07-2003 , 12:59 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Kevin
damn the duckling is on his way to MOTM for sure user added image

nice work ducky

thanks kev, but all i actually do is trying to learn. and so that others dont need to do my own begginers mistakes i push them a bit forward. user added image

# 5 08-07-2003 , 06:31 PM
Subscriber
Hi BabyDuck,

I actually did the tutorials and understood the steps. I'm wondering if its possible to use an existing object to wrap around another one?

Thanks,
TC

# 6 09-07-2003 , 12:32 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Trimeister
Hi BabyDuck,

I actually did the tutorials and understood the steps. I'm wondering if its possible to use an existing object to wrap around another one?

Thanks,
TC

well yes. it is possible to create a cloth object out of an existing polygon. you could duplicate some faces out of your poly model - make them bigger and go to cloth->create cloth object. here is a quick example. created a simple torso, duplicated a few faces and whild duplicating i made them have some distance. then i turned the torso into a collision object and the new faces into a cloth object.then run simulation and render. actually it is not so bad to convert a poly object into cloth - thought it is more complicated user added image

Attached Thumbnails