Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-02-2007 , 12:44 PM
Subscriber

Maya 8

is anyone here using maya 8, if so what do you think of it.
i am using it at the moment and i cant get on with it they seem to have changed a fair amount of the options.
just doesnt feel right.

# 2 20-02-2007 , 12:49 PM
Im currently using maya 8.5, made the change from 6.0 about a month ago. I got used to it pretty quick (as theres not much changed other than a few menu and tool names etc) I keep looking in the help file though to get to some things that have moved.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 20-02-2007 , 12:50 PM
Subscriber
maybe i just need to give it a bit more time

# 4 20-02-2007 , 01:17 PM
Subscriber
I moved from Maya 7 to Maya 8 in September and I still really dislike Maya 8 because of how unstable it is. Yeah I can get on and use it, I have no choice, but there are so many bugs in it I can hardly see how Autodesk had the nerve to release it.

I had no problems with Maya 7 but in Maya 8 I get Fatal Errors left right and centre after which the software closes (the split edge ring tool is a major contributer to this, you have to be careful with booleans too!). I suppose that one upside is that I have learnt to save my work on a very regular basis.

I've moaned about this quite a bit since I bought it and I hope that some of the problems have been sorted in 8.5. If Autodesk relaease Maya 9 by September (they'll probably be on version 10.5 by then!!) I rekon my university will be upgrading which means I will be too, I'm rather looking forward to it as it might mean an end to my Fatal Error blues.

Enough from me,

Mat.

# 5 20-02-2007 , 01:33 PM
Subscriber
i am running it on a mac (waits for the mac bashing comments) user added image, for some reason a simple thing like making an image plain just doesnt seem to work, i oput the image on the the standard polygon plain and it only shows half the image.

really buggy so far, well unless i am being completely stupid and there is a setting i need to change.

# 6 20-02-2007 , 02:40 PM
A Mac, well thats your problem!! Only joking!

Yeah I've heard that 8 had quite a few bugs in it (looking on other forums etc) but from my own experiance with 8.5 its fine, I cant recall it crashing once (thats the kiss of death aint it!) So It might have all been fixed.

8.0 in my humble opinion was a rush to get Autodesks name on maya.

# 7 20-02-2007 , 02:46 PM
Subscriber
is the upgrade to 8.5 free or is it a new version entirely?

which is probably a stupid question.

well i have had a good cry about the mac comment but i am ok now user added image

Last edited by deathwish; 20-02-2007 at 02:49 PM.
# 8 20-02-2007 , 03:28 PM
I think that is a free upgrade if your a platinum member, other than that get the wallet out I think!

# 9 20-02-2007 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
pretty much what i thought really, cheers for the info

# 10 20-02-2007 , 05:39 PM
I'm running 8 and haven't had any problems with bugs so far...it's been very stable for me. It was a little weird switching to it from 7 because of the menu changes but now I'm really used to using it.

# 11 20-02-2007 , 06:08 PM
Subscriber
I switched and I hate the switch from 7 to 8 however, i cant go back to seven. There are a few tools i got so acustom to but im just waiting for FR or renderman to make it for version 8. the one thing that does get me mad is the bact that in 7, if i did a shift + "D" to duplicate, it would duplicate depending on my last options in 8 though, it doesnt. I always have to go to my options menu which stinks cause it makes me a bit slower and yes i agree wiht happy matim getting so many fatal errors

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 12 21-02-2007 , 08:39 AM
Yeah the duplicates was a bit weird to get to grips with, but to me it does make more sense as if I was duplicating an object the old way I forgot that I had cirtian setting (say set to an instance)and had to delete then reset the tool

# 13 22-02-2007 , 04:16 PM
Subscriber
Here i was thinking about taking out a loan to get a new Mac and a upgrading to autodesk maya. But now after reading your comments i'm having second thoughts. Anyone think it's worth upgrading or does everyone think i should just stay in the past?

# 14 22-02-2007 , 06:49 PM
Subscriber
personally maya 7 is way better then 8 or 8.5 but thats my personal opinion. if you plan on upgrading for personal use and you dont HAVE to have 8 or higher then I say DONT upgrade. The only reason I had to upgrade is because my school uses 8 so I need 8 to bring in my files at school but if my school stayed with 7, i would be happier. Plus, I like final render and vray and u can get those for 7.

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.