Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-10-2002 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber

Can't make objects glow

1. create polycube
2. right-click
3. select Materials>Assign New Material>Blinn
4. open Special Effects menu/option/window/whatever
Now, from here I have no clue as to what I can do. If I set the Glow Intensity to a high value on the slider, I would expect the cube to have some sort of glow coming from it or radiant light. I figured it might only show up once you render a frame, but such is not the case. To the right of the Glow Intensity bar there is a box. If you click it, you get a texture window. I don't know why on earth this would have anything to do with glowing, but that's what you get. Tips?

# 2 08-10-2002 , 03:03 AM
are you rendering at production quality? when i did the glowing lamp i the october mini comp. forum, and rendered at a lower setting, i got nothing.

"He who would sup with the mighty, must climb the Path of Daggers."
# 3 08-10-2002 , 03:10 AM
SM Alumni
Hmmm...........have you a light in the scene or just using the default lighting? Try giving a color to the object and put a light in the scene and let me know what happens.

Reason for the texture box...you can map a texture as a glow pattern user added image

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 4 08-10-2002 , 03:37 AM
Subscriber
Well, I can get it all to work now. I don't know what I was doing wrong the first time. Glowing seems to work with both the default lighting and other lights, however, if you choose not to use default lighting you must have a light on the object that is glowing. When you use lights other than the default the glow object tends to glow more. In my case, I took a cube, coloured it red, and made it transparent enough so that you could see another cube in-behind it. (think of the red laser doors in the lightsaber daul in Star Wars: Epi. I) It became more difficult to see the second cube when I rendered the scene. Anyway, thanks for the help. I now know how to make objects glow.