Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-04-2005 , 06:32 PM

fur and hdri

does anyone know if fur works with image based lighting? and if it does, how? I've only gotten it to render black. thanks in advance

# 2 12-04-2005 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber
as of Maya 6 you can render fur with mental ray. It will take in all the lighting info you put into. When it comes to fur and tweaking in Maya 6 you need to mess around with the attributes because the default settings are not great for realistic results.

Maya 6.5 has a scanline in mental ray which takes care of the second issue I mentioned above.

# 3 12-04-2005 , 01:56 PM
Subscriber
my bad on the scanline stuff. with ray tracing turned on it does not seem to do anything except take longer to render.
scanline works great on fur with ray tracing off. very realistic results.

messing around with attributes for the fur will get good results with ray tracing

# 4 14-04-2005 , 08:45 AM
hm, I got it to work somehow (tweaked things attributes), but now, with hdri, no matter what the hair color is, it renders out silvery. anyone know how to solve this problem? thanks in advance

# 5 14-04-2005 , 02:01 PM
Subscriber
Here is what I got afetr jsut a very quick tweak and render.

I did not use Image based lighting node. I created a shere and applied a surface shader to it and than the HDR image to that. I got more desirable results. Also in the fur attributes I adjusted the tip and base opacity and cranked them up a bit.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 14-04-2005 , 02:41 PM
Subscriber
Hi Roachie....

Why not take a couple of minutes and polish-up that reply - then add it to the "Tips and Tricks" thread:

https://www.forum.simplymaya.com/show...threadid=15467

(It's similar to the thread you joined, regarding the chrome shader, some months ago)....

best

Keith

PS What is the HDR image you used?

# 7 14-04-2005 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, If I have a few extra minutes I will polish that up little more. render times are a bit killer even with satelite rendering.

The HDR is the generic ones from debevec website

I hope his name is spelled correctly.

just do a google search on HDR and it should be one of the first hits

# 8 11-07-2005 , 09:18 PM
hey, I know it's been a while, but I've been trying to do fur with image based lighting, even with the hdr image mapped onto the inside of sphere, but the fur, no matter what the color or options, comes out silver. anyone know why, or how to solve this? this also happens when using anthing as a light source besides actual maya lights. thanks in advance

Last edited by PilotLtKettch; 11-07-2005 at 09:21 PM.