Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-07-2003 , 07:43 AM

axe swing constraints

well i want to set proper constraints for a character holding an axe with 2 hands..... he has iks in both arms and i want him to grasp the handle of the axe and not let go but still have the freedom of being able to move the hand up and down the shaft. can anyone show me how to do this? thanks user added image

# 2 09-07-2003 , 03:04 PM
I believe you could constraign just ONE hand to the handle of the axe, and just key the other hand, so as to give you a little freedom regarding the "shaft-slide".

Not sure if it will work for you tho, but it was just an ideauser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 09-07-2003 , 05:31 PM
lol you said "shaft slide".... sorry childish humour.... user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 09-07-2003 , 07:32 PM
keying the hand would be far too difficult... i want the axe to be the controller for both arms so i don't need to rotate bones.

# 5 09-07-2003 , 07:37 PM
LOL! yeah, I thought that too when I first read dark's postuser added image

hehe... Sorry... I'll stop.

Sorry for my crappy answer dark... I'll just stick to dynamicsuser added image

C'mon animators out there!

Dark's got a great question here!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 6 09-07-2003 , 08:31 PM
You could use point and orient constraints to "stick" the hands on the axe handle. Place 2 locators on the axe handle where the hands should be. Parent the locators to the axe. Then, create 2 additional locators and parent each hand to one of them. Apply point and orient constraints from the hand locators and their respective axe locators. The hand locators will follow the axe locators whenever you move the axe itself, but the hands can still move around as needed. Grossly simplified here, but that's the general idea.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 7 09-07-2003 , 08:43 PM
i already got that part down... but the same problem is still there.... i want the hands to stay on the shaft and not move off when i move the locators around.... i just want it to slide up and down.... the sick minded ppl must be enjoying this :p

edit: i figured it out user added image .... thanks for the help ppl.... i may now safely slide my hand up and down my shaft without problem user added image :bgreen:

Last edited by dark-link; 09-07-2003 at 08:47 PM.
# 8 11-07-2003 , 08:11 PM
that's just nasty!......user added image