Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 06-12-2004 , 12:56 AM
Technical Director
Cool. Im in.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 17 06-12-2004 , 03:11 PM
The Maya Mountain
PRIZE UPDATE!

Hey, guys, I think I'm going to make a special case this time, since I'm the one providing the book part of the Grand Prize and nix the minimum number of entries...

Yep! 2 signed books WILL be given out no matter what!

HOWEVER

This only applies if the winners accept the book that I'm providing (ie. MY book user added image). If they would rather have another book (understandable for SL and SMax's case since it's a Maya book) I'm going to have to go back to the minimum entries (8 norm or 5 noob) because then it would the Simply3DWorld site paying for it.

So, yes, even if only 1 person finishes in each category, they'll get the prize... but c'mon... don't let them have it that easily, will ya!? :p

Sound fair? Let me know what you think. user added image

# 18 06-12-2004 , 05:10 PM
Subscriber
That damn book is the main reason I'm in this one, so you won't hear me complaining user added image

# 19 07-12-2004 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
I actually started this model!!! I have hit 250000 tris+, I'm attepting to render it then map onto low poly version user added image

is this allowed?

and what is ruling on PaintFx?(does it have to be all poly?

edit: I want that book!!! user added image going to college soon would help user added image

Pretzels and Beer
Pizza Pockets and Computer programers
Shortcuts and 3D artists

May we always be together.

Last edited by 13uRneR; 07-12-2004 at 06:33 PM.
# 20 07-12-2004 , 08:20 PM
The Maya Mountain
As long as the work is done during the challenge period (Starting Dec. 1st) than that's fine.

No paintFX. If you want grass or anything like that, use geometry mapped with transparancy. that's what is done in real games. user added image

# 21 07-12-2004 , 10:56 PM
does your book only include making that character or is that only one part of the book? (by the way nice job publishing a book user added image)

# 22 07-12-2004 , 10:58 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
As long as the work is done during the challenge period (Starting Dec. 1st) than that's fine.

No paintFX. If you want grass or anything like that, use geometry mapped with transparancy. that's what is done in real games. user added image

what do you mean? How would mapping geometry with transparency make grass? Like what would you make and then map? How would you do this??? (sorry for double post just saw this user added image )

# 23 07-12-2004 , 11:36 PM
The Maya Mountain
The book publisher did not want me to do a big 800+ page book, so I had to condense it to only go over making the one character on the cover. However, it's not only a step-by-step, but also general knowledge and techniques, so you should be able to apply the steps to pretty much any other character.

If you take a plane, map a picture of grass on it, with a transparancy map where the grass is white and the rest of the texture is black, only the grass part will show up. Position these planes on the terrain and it simulates grass. You can see this kind of thing a lot, especially in trees, bushes, grasses, etc in games. To create volume, you'd simply intersect a clump of such planes together and deform them with a little more subdivisions. Here's a couple pics from WoW to demonstrate:

https://www.macgamer.com/news/images/2199.jpg
https://www.sg.hu/kep/2001_12/world_o...interju_03.jpg

I used such a technique for the book character's hair and kilt, for example. You can see this more clearly in the wireframe image (linked under the image I posted).

# 24 08-12-2004 , 03:34 AM
Subscriber
also a good way to make buildings is that way of mapping, if it is far it can looked just as good mapped as modeled user added image

Pretzels and Beer
Shortcuts and 3D artists

# 25 08-12-2004 , 07:14 PM
mtmckinley,

So you mean I can't have a deformed landscape and then put a texturemap of grass on it? What about brick on a building? Or cartoon eyes on a character? The eyes on Super Mario, for example, were just an animated texture map.

Or maybe I'm just ignorant as to what PaintFX is?

"Even a brick wants to be something" - Louis Kahn
# 26 08-12-2004 , 07:23 PM
The Maya Mountain
sure, you can do that. You just can't use PaintFX (3D/2D pre-built super-res stuff).

# 27 10-12-2004 , 04:48 PM
The Maya Mountain

# 28 10-12-2004 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber
I believe older games would texture that amount of detail, but with newer gane systems and more poly on screen, thats the new low? (nice example! I want to be able to do that user added image )

Pretzels and Beer
Shortcuts and 3D artists

# 29 10-12-2004 , 05:14 PM
The Maya Mountain
It depends on the game. The RPG I was involved with had closer to 1500 poly characters.

# 30 10-12-2004 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber
I guess I just have to wait till i finish my college years to find out, then Ill see exactly what is going on

edit: whats ruling on evniroment fog, use or not? , cuz i would use 1000 poly's for alpha mapped cam facin boards user added image

Pretzels and Beer
Shortcuts and 3D artists

Last edited by 13uRneR; 10-12-2004 at 07:48 PM.