Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 29-11-2005 , 07:29 AM
Breakthrough!! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to give this model justice in the render stage, but I just spent 5 hours learning about render layers and compositing, and have finally managed to render without crashing. This was rendered in 4 pieces. I haven't messed with the compositing yet, so the masks are maybe a little too obvious, but at least now I know with a little work I can get the high quality render I'm looking for. It only took 38 minutes to render all 4 layers too.

Now to finish up the modeling and start texturing. The engine is all but complete apart from the exhausts, so the hard part is done. :attn:

Attached Thumbnails
# 47 29-11-2005 , 05:15 PM
Texture time.

Attached Thumbnails
# 48 30-11-2005 , 09:22 PM
Subscriber
WOW :bow:

# 49 01-12-2005 , 06:28 AM
Added the brakes, cables, seat and oil tank.

Attached Thumbnails
# 50 01-12-2005 , 07:56 AM
looking good dilberts hows the PC copeing with the amount of nurbs it slowing down any in the viewport yet user added image

the detail is looking spot on nice going

# 51 01-12-2005 , 11:19 AM
I love your work flow. would like some tuts in the furture from you. Where have you learnt to learn modelling like that?

The complexity is awesome, do you work in polys? Ho do you go about creating pieces, do you extrude edges from a plane? or start with a primitive and then extrude faces etc?

# 52 02-12-2005 , 12:05 AM
Visitor, yeah the nurbs trims kill the viewport. I only work in wireframe mode for zooming and tumbling though, so it doesn't effect things too much. Just lots of hitting the 4 and 5 number keys.

Clopper, there's not a single poly in this model. What I do is study the object I'm trying to model, and come up with a plan of attack. With NURBS there's so many options for making a surface, you just have to have the experience to pick the method that will be the most efficient. General rules I found work pretty well. For any round/oval object with any amount of symetry I'll usually go with the loft or revolve tool. For complex geometry with clean/sharp edges, I'll usually use a trimmed surface with circular fillets all over the place. And for what's left I'll use the birail 1 and 2 tool extensively. For instance, the seat was all birailed surfaces. Sometimes for a smooth surface (such as the fuel tank) I'll start with a NURBS sphere and add a lattice deformer for smoother control.

Basically, learn every tool and apply each one to the situation that needs it most. I have no formal training at all, just lots of messing around on my free time.

# 53 02-12-2005 , 09:55 AM
thanks for that, but as for me those terms are alien as I have always worked in polys and subd's. where would you suggest starting with modelling in nurbs? Not beginner stuff, but a godd resource which covers all the methods you have just mentioned.Thanks

# 54 02-12-2005 , 01:20 PM
there is a Gnomon video tut done by Darrin Krumweide in which he´s modeling a car. he´s pretty much covering all important Nurbs Tools there. I learned a lot out of it. but still - nurbs kind of don´t like me.

I´m a big fan of your work dilberts!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 55 02-12-2005 , 11:11 PM
clopper, falout is right about that video. I have it and it would be a big help for someone who wants to learn the NURBs tools.

# 56 03-12-2005 , 06:03 AM
Latest update. Added the rear wheel, rear brake disc, and started on the drivetrain including the weird spinner thing (I've no idea what it is). No time for high quality renders I'm afraid.

Attached Thumbnails
# 57 03-12-2005 , 08:08 AM
That is truely impressive... I can't imagine just doing that with a couple reference pics.

# 58 04-12-2005 , 10:23 PM
Latest update. Added a bunch of things. Maybe another week and I'll be done with the modeling, and then the fun begins.

Attached Thumbnails
# 59 05-12-2005 , 05:06 AM
Last update for the weekend. Added the exhaust and the rear seat. All that's left now is the rear light assembly, the wing mirrors, and a bunch of foot peg thingies. By next weekend I'll be adding materials and rendering. :attn:

Attached Thumbnails
# 60 06-12-2005 , 01:40 PM
Smooth!

You're realy good hard surface modeler. Try to compose it into 2D photo....

....aaaa....could you model the Star trek's Voyager....please!

Joke, keep up the great work mate!