Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-11-2003 , 05:15 PM
Subscriber

after effects or premiere

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong forum -

I am beginning to think about purchasing a either AEffects or Premiere to assemble my animations and such. My question is: which package will be more benifictial to me?

I am thinking AEffects. Because in addition to assembling scenes I would be able to create 2d animation (which I also have an interest in user added image) and other effects.

Is there anyone who can help me make up my mind?

# 2 02-11-2003 , 05:49 PM
More than likely, you'll want After Effects. Premiere is primarily for video editing....you can add transitions, work with sound, and some graphics, titling, etc. If you plan on doing a lot of compositing (ie. rendering out separate objects or passes from Maya), adding photoshop elements, rotoscoping, matting, etc. etc., I'd say go with AE. I like to think of it as a kind of photoshop for video as you build your compositions layer but layer. If you want more of an idea of how it works, download the demo and check out Rage's video tuts on Compositing in the Freebie section. That'll give you more of a sense of what you need.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 02-11-2003 , 05:56 PM
I agree with Nitro.

# 4 02-11-2003 , 10:32 PM
Amen to that

FX supervisor - double negative
# 5 02-11-2003 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
I would look at Combustion. Download the demo before you buy After effects. It's an amazing piece of software.

# 6 03-11-2003 , 01:22 AM
Subscriber
thanx guys - Adobe is running a special right now. its 699 (us) for premiere or AE, but if you buy the "video" package (some name like that) you get both plus a DVD and an audio app for 799(ususer added image)

that sounds like a deal to me user added image

combustion eh? mmmnn I am very intrigued by that... I think I will download a demo of that too!

thanx again!

# 7 03-11-2003 , 01:46 AM
My "off the hip" suggestion would be to get AE, as that is what I use personally, but I tried Combustion once upon a time, and I played with it for hours.

I loved it.

So, it's really up to you.

Both the Adobe and the Discreet-2d support staff are excellent, but there have been some folks with opposite feelings on that, so that is why there are user forums, like sm for maya, that make learning new software a breezeuser added image

As the Knight in Indiana Jones said, "Choose wisely".

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 8 03-11-2003 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber
When you download the combustion demo, there's 13 tutorials with scene files, that may come with it. If not they can be downloaded seperately. You'll be hooked right afterwards :-)

# 9 03-11-2003 , 03:00 AM
Whatever works. user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 10 03-11-2003 , 11:41 AM
i agree with mrmacca combustion is an absolutely amazing package, i would definately go with Combustion, if not i would go with After effects

# 11 03-11-2003 , 01:15 PM
I'd get shake (there's a demo version I think) it's all node based so it's damn easy to use(Ungodly powerful though) and it's pretty much industry standard (At least for the film business) user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 12 03-11-2003 , 01:26 PM
Don't forget Eyeon's Digital Fusion. Also node based...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 13 03-11-2003 , 02:30 PM
Rage what is the best forum for combustion?

# 14 03-11-2003 , 08:08 PM
That would be Pauls site at VFXTalk.

The link is in our links databaseuser added image

Also, Pure_Morning, good call with Shake, but isn't that only for the mac now?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 15 06-11-2003 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber
yeah combustion is just THE program unless u wanna spend lots of money on a compositor, then ud prolly end up with Avid|DS or sumthing similar to that

i saw the word assemble which in my mind says put together so i instantly thought premiere, which is a good choice for editing sound, video clips, transitions, timing
AE is more for keying, tracking, post effects which i wouldnt really call assembling

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com