Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 04-04-2007 , 07:40 PM
Subscriber
sweet got with the 2nd one since it will show u how to do the whole care ands its nice for a free tut. not enough polys for me but u will gain a lot from it. cant wait to see and if u need any references, pm me, i have a hugh collection

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 17 04-04-2007 , 07:58 PM
Subscriber
cool man thanks alot thanks both of you

# 18 05-04-2007 , 07:30 AM
Subscriber
well i started a fresh with the second of turbos tuts

as u can see theres alot less polys , soon as i get it gonna work on the finer shaping

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 05-04-2007 , 08:43 AM
Subscriber
ok what you want to do is add a row where i marked in red. One thing about getting a smooth mesh and poly placement. You want to try and keep you polys evenly spread through your whole model unless there are spots that need more polys but those are always exceptions. Again the more evenly spaced your mesh is, the better your results as long as you make sure it is aligned properly. Just add that row and the in the side view, your going to want to lift it up a bit to round it instead of having it flat.

looks good so far, keep it up

Attached Thumbnails

Toyota Supra WIP

# 20 05-04-2007 , 02:44 PM
Subscriber
ahh got ya , i was wondering turbo if you could send me one of ur scenes? if its possible that wayi can understand it more when i can spin it around point by point its cool if u dont want to i totaly understand or some wirefram pictures either one would be amazing

# 21 05-04-2007 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber
hey if u check on page 3 of the link new car, i have a top view wireframe of my hood. thats a direct top view so u can follow that.

what i like to do is model the hood in the top view, then take a whole row of verts and align them in the side view but thats after my top view is done. let me know if u need more wires but that should get u started in understanding. hey i dont mind sharing my mesh lol because i tend to always put my projects under unfinished projects just as long as i get credit so if still needed, ill send u my hood and it can give u understanding of poly placement. also what version of maya are you using beause as of now, my car was done in 8 so if you have 7, id have to send u the obj instead of the mb.

Toyota Supra WIP

# 22 05-04-2007 , 02:53 PM
Subscriber
ahh ill check that out thanks , i have 6.5 :<

edit: just checked it out , now if i did that it would be all over the place lol im amazed how you keep the lines so clear , the tyres n discs look nuts seriously that would drive me crazy lol

edit: i also checked out the car poll there all nice cars ida lovedto c what you coulda done with the evo maybe that could be your next project?

Last edited by Sicky; 05-04-2007 at 02:59 PM.
# 23 05-04-2007 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber
ohh trust me, if u ever seen my first projects, i used to add a lot of polys and didnt know how to maintain them. just keep at it and you will be there faster then me lol because im a slow learner. i never thought id ever model without a tut but i got there

Toyota Supra WIP

# 24 05-04-2007 , 03:01 PM
Subscriber
well your dam good at it lol im truley impressed

# 25 07-04-2007 , 10:18 PM
Subscriber
another update

im trying to follow the tutorial as much as i can but without it , im trying to do it by my self , not sure how its going soon as i start addin edges to define the curves more the more messier it gets its driving me nuts lol this is what i have so far

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 08-04-2007 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
right, its begining to get to me now lol , ive started useing the smooth to c if its flowing as it should ,
at the mo theres a little hicup near the intake at the bottom ,

which im gonna try and sort out maybe later ,
as it stand atm the moment im quite pleased with it its starting to take shape as it should ,
waaaaaay better than my first 10000000 attempts.
ive started thinking about what should go where alot now , like oh that corner ist round enough or that edge should be sharper so i add a edge or 2 just to sharpen it up a little bit or curve it more.

so heres a little update of meh progress so far

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 08-04-2007 , 09:58 PM
Subscriber
looks better already but can you show us a smoothed version. also the bottom of you intake look like it has too many edged to form it so when smoothed, you might get a bumpy surface. Other then that though, the rest is looking pretty good. the mesh looks nice, just the intake so when u post, post a smoothed and a wire so we can see if theres any mesh problems and then with the wire, help correct. Keep it up mate im following this one close

Toyota Supra WIP

# 28 08-04-2007 , 11:49 PM
Subscriber
Smooth Version

user added image

and heres the wired

user added image

the reason that i put so many lines there is cause its the only way i could make it look smooth enough , there wa a little pinch that coulndt get rid off.

thanks for the comments dude it means a lot

# 29 09-04-2007 , 12:00 AM
Hey man, your models really coming along. Looks loke youve got a bit of a bump on the bonnet of the car, mid way up the headlight side

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 30 09-04-2007 , 12:17 AM
Subscriber
Ok the front bumper is a little off so far on that area that goes underneath the car. Whats ur email address so I can send u some nice references of the front bumper. I am able to get really good ones so I will send u them and trust me, good ref is the best way to go. U should have a whole folder full of ref pics because BPs arent always helpful and following them, u can get inaccuracies so looking at lots of refs will do you a lot of justice. anyways heres a close up of my bumper, hope this helps u with ur intake area and how to solver all of those edges.

Also as Gster said, this car is coming along nicely. Esp that this is ur first model, it looks really good.

****EDIT****
The file size on this website isnt allowing me to attach anything for you. sorry man

Toyota Supra WIP