Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 23-02-2010 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber
Good morning!! I know it has been awhile since I have updated, but have been learning a lot in the time.

I have an update I would like to post up. I have gotten most of the texturing done, with the exception of the panels in the entry. I also would like to add some kind of brick or stone on the walk in the front of the building, I believe.

And thank you to everyone that has visited my project!!

Hope that your week is going good!! Almost March, time passes so fast!!

Original Render (1200X900):

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...23rdUpdate.png

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 17 23-02-2010 , 06:06 PM
coming along very nicely oht.

This is the kind of texturing project I need to do. It's not super complicated.

As it is now it looks pristine. Do you plan on distressing it at all?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 18 23-02-2010 , 06:18 PM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
ctbram beat me to it, I was going to ask if you there going to add some weathering. I know you like your models clean but it would make it stand out more, looking good .......dave

Edit: not heavy weathering but light

# 19 23-02-2010 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber
Ctbram, thank you very much!! I had felt also that trying to texture it would be fun and a nice exercise! No, not complicated really at all. Needed to work on perspective and that sort of thing was fun also.

Dave, well I had thought about doing some dirt mapping on it and then I had thought I was not sure if I wanted to do a rendition of the drawing itself, and not so much a real picture. But since you both have mentioned it, then I should do it. It is a Palace, but let me work on that after the panels in the middle of the entry. I think it will be a good idea.

I had not seen your edit before I answered. I agree, just light stuff.

Thanks both of you for liking my work!!

P.S. Dave, can I ask if you have shown your Father your Avatar project? I can bet he likes it and is proud! Wanted to ask that for awhile.

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).

Last edited by oldhippie_tom; 23-02-2010 at 11:06 PM.
# 20 24-02-2010 , 09:38 AM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
Alas both my parent are dead ( that OK they lived to a good age ).
I have tried to get my kid involved but I think kids these days like quick results (watching me model is like watching paint dry LOL) but they do like some of my stuff..............dave

# 21 24-02-2010 , 10:39 AM
Lifetime Member
i love the roof tiles Tom , but the textures definately needs some weathering to bring it to life .
Overall pretty accurate to the reference ,if i had to be picky i would say the the two rows of bricks above the arch need to be either a little further apart or slightly thinner because the gap between them is a little small and the detailed texture that needs to go in there might look a little over crowded as it stands.
Great job so far though .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 22 24-02-2010 , 02:21 PM
Subscriber
Good morning once again!!

Jsprogg, I appreciate it very much that you visited my project and left comments. I am glad that you like it and that you feel I have done good in representing it. I am backing up some and doing some dirt work on the scene and holding off on the panels till I finish that. I am sure it will look a little more pleasing then. About the bricks you mentioned along the top, and have to say I agree with you. There are a lot of them across there, I know as they are laid on their sides and not flat, and I tried to make it exact as the drawing. This drawing was very good for using in a view as a template and that helped tremendously . I know there are 137 rows of stone for each main columns. Did not count the bricks across the top, but used the drawing and made edges exactly what he had as I need that for a guide on the displacement maps. It made it a real pain to make the displacement maps with it being so close and to make the lines thin enough to make it not all run together. I will work on them some more and see it I can get them to look not so obvious. Again, thanks!!

Dave, I am sorry about your Dad, but know he would have been very pleased. And kids do have different priorities, huh?

# 23 28-02-2010 , 12:45 PM
Subscriber
Good morning everyone!! I wanted to post an update to my project. I have done some work on most everything and have tried to give it a more used, and appealing, appearance. I hope I am on the right track. I worked with the displacement for the bricks in the entry once more. I had never really made my own displacement maps, so this has been teaching me a lot!!

Hope everyone is enjoying there weekend!!!

Link to 1200X900:

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...om/Feb28th.png

Attached Thumbnails

# 24 28-02-2010 , 02:18 PM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
Starting to look realy good, I realy like the tiles. The only grit are the big spaces iver side of the door and above needs a little variation ( pos sand filter in photo shop ) looking good.......dave

# 25 28-02-2010 , 03:58 PM
Subscriber
Thank you Dave!! I was not sure if I was accomplishing it or not. Will keep after it then! Thanks!!

I will check on the area you mentioned, if I am correct, and do something to it.

Hope your day is, or has, been a good one!!

# 26 04-03-2010 , 03:34 AM
Subscriber
Good evening everyone!! Well, wanted to post an update on my project. I have finally gotten the red brick in the entrance to how I had hoped. I laughed as I went over them for like the 100th time, as a teacher I had in grade school as a young boy used to tell me, "Tom, you need to keep doing that till you get it right!" Well, I still am doing it!! HaHaHa!! Sorry, got carried away.

I have the dirt mapping to the point where I am mostly pleased with it, but some areas need some work. But will wait for your thoughts on all of that. I have the two top panels done in the entrance and will get the bottom one soon. I have been working with the bricks and blocks on the lower front, still picking at those. Need to do the entrance blocks again, since I have changed the others.

I have went on enough. I raise my glass and toast you all with a wish for you a nice evening, or day, filled with smiles!!

Original 1200X900 Render:

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...r3rdUpdate.png

Attached Thumbnails

# 27 04-03-2010 , 07:34 AM
looking awesome oht!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 28 04-03-2010 , 09:58 AM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
Your tiles look lovely, I have posted this picture to help you with the texture for the white washed walls and above, Im not saying do it like this as yours is a palace but tone it down so you get some variation............hope this helps dave

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 04-03-2010 , 03:03 PM
Subscriber
Good morning!! Ctbram, thank you!! I appreciate it very much!! I also appreciate that you visit my project!

Dave, I have never enjoyed doing something that was white. Seems that it never renders quite right, at least for me. I am using a falloff, I believe that is the same as a ramp in Mental Ray, and have it with a white and an off white. But it does not seem to be effective. If I try and change it too much I start to get tinting. I will work some more on that. I will need to use the color sampler, as shades of color is what I don't see.

Thank you both, once again! And hope all is well!!

# 30 04-03-2010 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
Dave, not to carry on about this. But you made me think when you said whitewash. I will try using a base color with some noise, and then composite the white on top and vary the opacity. Just wanted you to know I am thinking!!