Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 27-04-2004 , 07:13 PM

seeing files in viewport

Hi
ok, this may be an old hat question but please bare with me i`m a newbie with maya.........
i`m trying to set up a virtual studio scene so i can model a head using reference assigned to 2 planes, side and front views. now i`ve created 2 poly planes and then created new materials and imported a file(my reference) to the material so it shows up in the editor(material sample) and then assigned the material to the respective planes(dragged and dropped from hypershade) and then added both planes to a new layer - i was told this was a good idea.
my problem is that i can`t see my reference files in the viewports.....and try as i might i can`t get them to show.

please could you help me....

krispee

# 2 27-04-2004 , 09:36 PM
Press 6 on your keyboard.

# 3 28-04-2004 , 03:55 PM
see, i knew it would be something simple like that.....
thankyou owmyi

krispee

# 4 28-04-2004 , 05:17 PM
hehe the simple things are usually the biggest bastards to figure out user added image

# 5 29-04-2004 , 03:23 PM
yeah, aint that the truth
user added image

# 6 28-02-2009 , 08:10 PM
Hi, What if 6 doesn't fix it? I'm stuck here. Cant see my images on the reference planes.....

www.jowand.com
# 7 01-03-2009 , 10:28 AM
Hey Jo,

Hows tricks?

Not too sure what you mean, if you make a file texture and then assign it to a lambers and then to the material it should show up no probs with 6, unless theres a problem wth the GFX card, or its an image that maya dosent like.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 01-03-2009 , 10:38 AM
Hey! Its got to see your name pop up! I'm studying 3D animation now at Hertfordshire Uni.... So I guess I'll be hanging about in here a bit more again!! We are actually learning max and maya at the same time with allot more support for max.... Im more keen to learn Maya though.... Most of them think i'm mad!

Erm, I've kind of fixed my problem. I went to viewport> renderer> High quality rendering. So now i can see the images on my reference planes, but I cant use back face culling. Its a bit anoying as I have to put the reference images quite far away which is no good for the perspective view. At least I can use the orthographic views though.......

www.jowand.com
# 9 01-03-2009 , 10:45 AM
Sounds good Jo, hope its fun!

I always stick the images on a nurbs plane with a lambert assigned with a file texture, with the plane sized to the image eg. if its an image thats 1000 X 1200 the plane will be 10 X 12, once everythings there (side, front etc) group, add to a layer then scale to suit, you can then make the layer a template so you can select it.

You can then go to the lambert and then in hardware texturing upp the quality to highest to get a better view.

Never had a problem, works great

# 10 01-03-2009 , 10:57 AM
Thanks, I'll try upping the hardware texturing on the lambert.....

www.jowand.com
# 11 01-03-2009 , 11:00 AM
Wow, oh dear, That just makes it so pixilated that you cant see what the picture is! God to know its there to fiddle with though...

www.jowand.com
# 12 01-03-2009 , 06:41 PM
Strange it should make it clearer as its forcing maya to up the texture display resolution.

# 13 30-03-2016 , 02:52 AM
LOl haha Simple solution biggest problem.user added image