Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 211 13-09-2006 , 03:15 PM
ahah! i could see a little and from what i was able to see, it looked good user added image

the new screen is much more clear, its coming along very nicely. are you going to add a bump map on it so it looks a little bit more like hair?

# 212 13-09-2006 , 08:29 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Update

_Jay

user added image

# 213 13-09-2006 , 09:44 PM
Subscriber
looking mighty fine. user added image

nothing to to crit 'cept the ear.

i know you probably finalized modelings already. :p

# 214 14-09-2006 , 01:51 AM
Subscriber
Very nice Jay. I love it.

# 215 14-09-2006 , 02:17 AM
Thanks Guys

Yo Vlad, the ear huh? well a tweak can be worth a go sometimes, as long as its not a complete redo - your thoughts please dude...

Cheers
Jay

# 216 14-09-2006 , 09:00 AM
Subscriber
I'm in agreement wiht Vlad..ear still loks a little off..
looks kinda pinched in teh front where the...eh... ear lobe adn little flappy thing that covers the ear hole up kinda meet up..
dunno if thats the angel of the screen or what..

and i still think it looks a bit flat now.. if you remember my last crit on it...maybe a bit more of a concave curve to it from front to back...

Just my thoughts...
the rest looks nice...
G

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 217 14-09-2006 , 09:50 AM
Subscriber
yea a quick tweak will definately add alot.
the ears kinda take away from the model imho.

for one the ear is positions too high. the tip should probably be the same height as the corner of the eyes.
i would probably even move it closer to the temple, it looks really far back.

as for the anatomy of the ear; these things so different from person to person. but i think it still could be a better,
and maybe give a slightly different hue from the color of the face. make it stronger or lighter.
and i think overall just moving closer to the head and rotate it clockwise just a tad will make it more or less blend better with the head.

right now it like the focal point of the head. the moment i look a t it, its the first thing i notice.

i made a quice PS composite.
hope u dont mind
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 218 14-09-2006 , 11:14 AM
Cool Guys

Yeah I dont wanna get to bogged down, Its not too high though thats my final voice on that but I'll rotate it clockwise (again) should be 15degrees and will rotate inward. Color also will pink up a bit more

...I'll run it in Zbrush to get a better result without pulling points all day LOL

Thanks again guys

Jay

# 219 15-09-2006 , 12:08 PM
hehe, after having just done an ear I can sympathise with the tweaking and it not looking quite right etc user added image
I think a slight exaggeration of the contours and a tweak of the front of the bottom flap part would be fine.

its coming on really well jay - and thanks for sharing how you tackled the hair (as I just asked you in my thread before I saw this)

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 220 15-09-2006 , 01:17 PM
Hey Si

Yeah I had a tweak, mainly what Vlad had said, went thru my ear reference, and ya know that flap differs alot, especially the spacing between that and the branch. Im not doing anymore now to it apart from adding red/pink on the texture. Its acceptable...I think

Have an update, note, Ive kept the ear out of it LOL

Jay

user added image

# 221 15-09-2006 , 02:29 PM
impressive work man, but ill suggest using the sss shader for her skin to give it some more realism. and also great work with the uv mapping cause i have not seen any seams on her yet.

# 222 15-09-2006 , 07:50 PM
YoungLion

Thanks, just to let you know in case you arent sure, this is not a render, its just a screen grab. Im am aware of the sss phenomenon, many thanks

Cheers
Jay

# 223 16-09-2006 , 09:49 AM
Hey Jay, I think this may be my first post since I joined (I never got around to learning Maya the first time!), and somehow I found this thread on a google search!

Anyway, very nice all round! I hope to do something similair for my final majoy project, though I may have to resort to cracking out Cinema4D, doing a final AND trying to wrangle new software will be bloody hard!

Just taken a look at your WiP thread on your site as well, Nice to see that scar that you mentioned making an appearance. That character looks as though he's coming along nicely, does this mean we may see beginner character tut in ZBrushfor the Maya users who want a little more detail?

I think I'll be dropping into Simply a little more often now! Thanks for making me so damn jealous! :bow:

# 224 16-09-2006 , 10:01 AM
Hey Ritchie

thanks and good luck with C4d, Ive heard good things of it.

anyway a quick test render after adjusting the hair to check placement

Cheers
Jay
user added image

# 225 16-09-2006 , 10:33 AM
Heh, thanks Jeff, but I can already use C4D! It's actually quite a powerful package, but it's not really industry standard for character stuff, though Maxon are trying to push it that way, and with CactusDans excellent set of IK and Muscle plugs, it's quite accomplished.

It's a lot easier to work in than Maya once you know it, so many of the tools are interactive, though this is probably down to my limited experience in Maya, but I'm slowly getting it!

I would say to anyone who's having trouble getting their head around Maya, or 3D in general, that Cinema is worth a look, as everything is so intuitive, and the layout of the UI is slightly similair to Maya, and I thought that maybe the chageover would be quite easy.... WRONG! There's so many ways to model in Maya, NURBS patches being particularly interesting to me, C4D doesn't have this capability out of the box, though I beleive there is a plugin that does it. The SubD modelling is a little hit and miss, but for poly work, I quite like it. Still, besides the point!

A few of one of my high-res models in Cinema...

Plan Views

Front Left 3/4

Front Right 3/4

Rear Detail

Not perfect, but as close as I could get with so many different variations in the film (large scale model, small scale model, and full size airport tug - they were all slightly different!)

But I wanna' use Maya now!!!!