Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 30-06-2007 , 06:06 PM

What's the hardest thing...

Just for fun,
What's that hardest/most difficult thing you've ever done or tried to do with 3D? Can be modeling, animation, fx, lighting, etc. Just try and be specific.

So far the hardest thing I've tried to do was model an ear.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 30-06-2007 , 06:20 PM
nah, i did fine modeling an ear, lol

the thing i am HORRIBLE at would have to be sticking with a project, hahaha....

or just animation and rigging in general ^_^

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 01-07-2007 , 02:23 AM
Well the hardest thing I did in comparison to my experience was trying to create a face which I tried way to early. user added image

At first I was actually trying to create a realistic face but it ended up with some alien like figure. user added image

user added image

# 4 01-07-2007 , 03:49 AM
Subscriber
I'm pretty good at modeling and rigging but i suck at texturing. I can do it but i can never take it to the next level and make it look really good.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 5 01-07-2007 , 04:16 AM

Originally posted by Some Guy
I'm pretty good at modeling and rigging but i suck at texturing. I can do it but i can never take it to the next level and make it look really good.

Thats my major problem too. I think perhaps this can be mitigated by investing in a drawing tablet, but its still not easy at all.

Black House
"Wrapped in metal, wrapped in ivy."
# 6 01-07-2007 , 04:38 AM
Subscriber
I actually got one the other day. It is a help but it still takes skill to make good textures.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 7 01-07-2007 , 05:50 AM
Jr.Who
I havenÕt used Maya long enough to figure out, but the one thing that I hate doing the most is UV mapping. ItÕs so boring and sometimes it can be really hard.

IÕm going to take some training for rigging and binding soon, and I hope that it isnÕt as bad as UV mapping.

# 8 01-07-2007 , 07:50 AM
Subscriber
so far rigging is the hardest part, but 4 months ago I would have said texturing.

# 9 01-07-2007 , 04:19 PM
Acid44
texturing is a b**** to do.... i can uv and model just fine for my experience and i dont really know much else but i coulndt make a texture for the life of me

# 10 01-07-2007 , 07:03 PM
Subscriber
I'm with you on modeling the ear user added image. Perhaps the most complex shape in nature.

Making water look good is really hard too.

Currently struggling with atmosphere effects to create depth. Loosing edges in the distance, dust, smoke, fog and particles in the air for added depth and believability (not necessarily realism. Just some kind of look-good logic), and no, adding fog to a spotlight does not look good to me hehe.

I still think UV'ing is hard to get the head around, although the last challenge helped a lot. I have to do it some more now, and who knows, maybe one day it's even going to be fun user added image

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 01-07-2007 at 07:12 PM.
# 11 03-07-2007 , 09:30 AM
19 year Veteran
@Weyu

Faces are really difficult to do either way you cut it. You should have atleast a decent level of modeling experience behind you, and you need to know your human anatomy. Andrew Loomis is a great source, and you can find alot of his stuff free on the net.

This is however my own opinion of course.

# 12 03-07-2007 , 09:40 AM
Lighting has always been one of those areas i sturggle with...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 13 15-07-2007 , 09:28 PM
Subscriber
I would have answered rigging, but I seem to have gotten pretty good at that. At this point, lighting and dynamics are the two hardest things about Maya. Lighting is hit or miss, and I still haven't gotten farther than a few fireballs with dynamics!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 14 15-07-2007 , 09:45 PM
I love using dynamics! Lots of options to solve the problem. Think that one of the hardest things that I've found is UV mapping organic models, thats why Zbrush is a godsend as it dosent care about em!

Another hard thing that ive found hard is lighting and dirtying things up, a lot harderthan it seems in my case!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 15 08-08-2007 , 08:01 PM
Hardest thing i did was 2 months ago when i stumbled onto the book: Hyper-Realistic Creature Creation. I was noobier that I am now, but the cover looked really cool!!! It was okay at first...I managed to do the face actually, well the nose,mouth and cheeks. Then when I hit the muscles and intergrating quads I was done

Signature