Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 27-07-2008 , 04:11 AM

Old Hall Scene

Here is an old hall scene I have been lighting recently. I have seen some various iterations of this scene around the web so I assume it's a common one, but nonetheless here is my own version of it.

The lighting could use some work; there is only one direct light source which is the sun that's shining down from the rear and furtive ceiling. But other then the lighting I like how the random textures come together to give it a lively appearance despite the older setting.

Attached Thumbnails

We are presented with grave words and values
almost from the cradle: "good" and "evil" this gift
is called. For its sake we are forgiven for living.

Last edited by OzolianLocrian; 27-07-2008 at 04:49 AM.
# 2 27-07-2008 , 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
It has potential, turn on shadows on at least the main light and go from there.

- Genny
# 3 27-07-2008 , 07:29 AM
Subscriber
lol those are some pretty wild textures, some more lights and shadows would certainly help and maybe tame down the textures a little user added image

Chris

# 4 27-07-2008 , 09:54 AM
the textures are way too "wild". i think you should take a look at ref images and also 3dtotal has a tonne of tutorials on scene modeling, texturing and lighting

# 5 28-07-2008 , 04:12 AM
I had to light and texture this same scene a few months ago as a lighting assignment. Practical lighting could get pretty tricky at first. but keep at it and look for reference. I ended up rushing it in the end, but here's how it turned out. If you desaturate your textures, and do an occlusion pass, it would probably help a lot.
user added image