Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 02-08-2004 , 09:22 PM

Sub-D binding

Hi.
I'm just now learning how to use Sub-D's. I was wondering what you do once you're done modeling. Do you convert it back to pollygons? 'Cuase I tried that and ended up with a really high res piece. Or do you bind the sub-D's directly to the skeleton somehow?
Someone told me Sub-D's automatically make a low res dummy piece you're sopposed to use to bind. Is that true? What if i accidently deleted that piece?

I'd really appreciate any good free tutorials anyone knows about using Sub-D. I've read the maya help files and experimented with them on my own but that's about it so far.
Does anyone know of any good books that would teach about sub-D modeling?

# 2 02-08-2004 , 09:48 PM
to go back to the original poly, go to
convert > subD to Poly > option box
there select tesselation method = vertices
and set level 0; and share uvs...

so there ull come back to the original poly figure..

i dont know any books, just using tutorials from webs... i don't use too much subD becouse im trying to get expiernced first at poly and nurbs user added image

# 3 02-08-2004 , 10:42 PM
Thanx for answering!
hmmmm, when I do that, it loses the some of the detail I added in Sub-D's and it comes out looking ugly. Are sub-d's are just sopposed to be binded directly and not converted to anything else first? I'm confused...
Also, is there a way to completely remove levels of details, even after they've been altered if I decide I don't need them?

# 4 03-08-2004 , 04:02 AM
i always heard that subd is a smooth proxy, it means u can edit it in poly mode but at the same time see the smoothed version, and i guess its supposed to look ugly im poly user added image, try to smooth them later, and see if its like in the subd way... i never really used subd, just a little to undestand a bit...

ehm, i guess the undo key will help; theres a way of previewlization, or better sauid, smooth lvl or somehitng like this, the 1,2,3 keys; and if u go to subd attributes, u could select ur 0 level key, im not sure if that answers ur question, but maybe it helps a bit.