Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-12-2012 , 11:05 AM

Seiko 200m diver's watch

I'm new to Maya - this is my first project. All modelling / shading done in Maya, rendered in mental ray. HDRI for lighting. Seeking feedback on all aspects - where I can improve etc.
cheers!
-Guy

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 26-12-2012 , 01:44 AM
Super Moderator
Hi Guyporter and welcome to SM! user added image

That's looking really good for a first so kudos on that. The model looks pretty solid and good texture placement. Interested in showing wires? The areas that could use some work is the rendering and framing. I find that while HDRI environments are great for reflections, they're usually not great for backplates and for contributing all the lighting. In this case, it doesn't seem like daylight, I don't know if its the dark, floor that's sucking the light out or what, like there's no bounce light. The composition is a bit strange but squared images can be difficult to balance, the camera angle of the last shot really brought that out. Look forward to seeing some more of your stuff around the boards!

- Genny
# 3 26-12-2012 , 09:12 AM
Thanks Gen for the feedback and welcoming me here!

Here are some wires.. mostly polys + some NURBS (eg, logo on the back). The hardest part was getting the text booleans to work..

Also some new renders with final gather enabled + rectangular composition..

PS: the date and time on the watch is when my daughter was born - Sun 9th Dec 2012, just after 10am user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 27-12-2012 , 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Grats on the new bundle! It's just a matter of time before us December babies take over the world. user added image

You're probably going to get some flak for using booleans without cleaning up the geometry, I was thinking you used displacement. Anyways, if you're going for a "product shot" then the background might be a bit distracting. Just Googling "product shot" brought up some good references.

- Genny
# 5 28-12-2012 , 02:54 AM
Thx again for the advice user added image

Yeah, just getting those booleans to work took ages so I wasn't in much of a mood to tidy up the geometry.. if it was for animation / deformation I would have. If fact the mesh was full of holes after most of the text booleans - so it did need some patching up, but I didn't have the patience to make everything quads. Hmm, maybe next time I'll try displacement.

I see what u mean about the product shots - the background is usually pretty blank except for some soft tones.