Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 30-05-2007 , 02:00 PM

Basic human form

I can not get the basic human form tutorial to play on the DIVX player. Instead it plays on the nero player, and then only audio.

What am i doing wrong?

Tubby thank you for your responds "codec is not instaled",but according to my computer it is installed.

What am i doing wrong?

Last edited by john a white; 30-05-2007 at 05:36 PM.
# 2 30-05-2007 , 02:02 PM
Tubby

# 3 30-05-2007 , 05:40 PM
Tubby thank you for your responds "codec is not installed", but according to my cumputer it is.

What am i doing wrong?

# 4 30-05-2007 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber
you might have to right click on the file, and go to poperties and under the general tab where it says "Open With: -----" click the button next to it called "Change" and switch it to your windows media player, or winamp player, or vlc player. I've had to do that with a couple that were opening in nero player myself. If that doesn't work then I'm pretty much clueless, hope it helps though!

# 5 31-05-2007 , 02:41 AM
Tubby
If windows media player plays the Audio but no Picture this points to a divx codec issue.

If your getting no audio and no picture then you may have a very old version of Mediaplayer installed.

The avi files on this site are encoded to use Mp3 for Audio (which should have been installed with Mediaplayer) and DIVX for the Video.

Things to try:

Upgrade your Windows Mediaplayer : Link

Make sure you have the latest DirectX installed (Start, RUN, type "DXDIAG" without the quotes and return) it should be at least Directx9. If not Link

If you still have no luck, then you have issues with Windows which while fixable are difficult and time consuming. A format and re-install will be quicker.

VLC is known to work on systems that have issues so it may be worth a try Link

It should be noted that some mediaplayers eg Nero will play some part of the AVI, where it be the Audio or Video this due to the player having a inbuilt decoder (Codec) but requires a 3rd party codec to decode the rest.

Having re-read your post It seems mediaplayer did'nt play anything, while if the mediaplayer was a least a late version 8 it should have played the audio (MP3) and displayed an error about "Missing codecs etc".

You should avoid installing "Codec Packs" only every install codecs that you really need.

# 6 31-05-2007 , 03:30 AM
Senior Software Developer
As Tubbs has stated these will fix your issue, but if your are dbl clicking the file and it launches Nero Showtime, it means that Windows has been told to use this as its default media player.

I would either upgrade WMP to version 11 (must be on XP SP2), or as Tubbs has stated go in and flatten the box and reinstall the OS.

Remeber when ever you install an app it will change the file associations, and this may not be what you want. Nero is especially bad for this as there is soo much crap that is iinstalled. So if you end up rebuilding your OS, I recommend a custom install or Nero and remove all the crap you dont need and just keep burning room.

Oh BTW VLC will play 99.9% of video files and DVD's. Great little utility.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 01-06-2007 , 09:41 PM
If you still have not resolved this problem here is something else to try.

I had a power outage on one of my systems a couple weeks ago and when it rebooted whenever I tried to play any video file avi, mov, wma, on any video player wmp, quicktime, nero showtime, all I got was audio and no video.

I got all the usual suggestions - check to see the proper codecs where installed, reinstall the players, etc. and nothing worked.

I was about to throw the computer through the wall or re-enact the scene from southpark where the general calls Bill Gates on the stage after w98 locks up and shoots him in the head!

As a last resort I completely uninstalled my video drivers (nvidia) and re-installed them and viola all the video formats started working again.

Oddly enough just yesterday we had a power outage and a different machine I own started doing the same thing. It would play audio but no video. Of course I forgot what I did to fix it on the other machine by this time and spent the day going through the same ritual of checking all the codecs, reinstalling all the players, rattling voodoo beads over the computer and sacrificing a live chicken, considering hiring a witch doctor to place a curse on Bill Gates and then I remembered to uninstall and reinstall the video drivers and the problem was again resolved.