Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 09-03-2004 , 07:01 PM

osnap?

Hey All,

In my techdrawing class I have been using the Rhino program, and have found it extremely easy to create 3d objects then combine them using Osnaps(currently creating a car for a contest).

I am going off to college later this year(for computer animation) and wanted to familiarize myself with Maya a bit before shipping off. I am having a bit of difficulty making objects using Nurbs(mainly with trying to manipulate the object), so all I am using right now is polygonal objects since I know how to get the objects face and then deform it and whatnot.

Back to the Point.

However I was wondering if Maya has an Osnap system? Rhino has Osnap which has helped me out alot in creating some of my things, but I am having a lot of difficulty trying to align objects and combine them in maya. All I can find is the little magnets on the toolbar to point or face...but I cant get anything to actually snap together along a face or to a point.

Does Maya do this or do I just need to eyeball it???

Oh and I'm using Maya Personal Learning Edition.

Thanks in Advance!!

Dan user added image

# 2 09-03-2004 , 09:48 PM
Check out Modify->Snap align objects.
There's a few tools for aligning and snapping objects there. The Snap Together tool will snap one object to another using faces seleced by the user for example.

I haven't used them much myself, I'm mostly into organic modelling.

# 3 09-03-2004 , 10:34 PM
I used Rhino before my switch to maya. I sugest you read the docs and look for tuts on the magnets and get familier with the basic tools, or you will tear your hear out.

# 4 10-03-2004 , 06:36 PM
Hehe, allright thanks guys...

the Osnaps make things soooo much easier user added image