Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-05-2013 , 06:46 PM

Translucence ...

Is there any way to get the "Translucence" of a mia_material into a Layered Shader. I've tried to connect the mia_material to a Surface Shader, and then to the Layered Shader (mia_material's "Result" to the Surface Shader's "outColor" in Connection Editor) but no luck.

# 2 02-05-2013 , 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Does translucency show up if you assign the mia mat directly to the object? Does the mia mat have any transparency? It's needed for the translucency to show.

- Genny
# 3 03-05-2013 , 03:07 PM
Yes. It shows up as expected. I understand that some Transparency is needed for this to take effect so I have a very slight amount assigned.

# 4 09-05-2013 , 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
That is weird then, it should work. Can you post an example scene?

- Genny
# 5 09-05-2013 , 10:42 PM
Technical Director
You can't add a mentalray shader to a maya shader, as they're incompatible. You need something like mib_color_mix.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 09-05-2013 at 10:50 PM.
# 6 10-05-2013 , 12:07 AM
Super Moderator
You can, its just that its a tad more convoluted because you have to pipe the mia into a surface shader then plug that into the layered shader.

I changed the layered shader "compositing flag" to layered texture otherwise it just seems to add the shaders on top of each other and looks terrible.

Attached Images

- Genny

Last edited by Gen; 10-05-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: forgot to add something