Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-02-2008 , 04:05 PM

Where Do I start ?

Hello everyone,
I think its always best to start off with an introduction before asking for help. So with that in mind I want to say hi to everyone, my name is Naijshua. I'm a new user with Maya and I was wondering where should I begin. I've never used the software, but I really want to get into making 3D animations, rendering, skinning, and rigging. Its seems like a daunting task but I know I can do it.

I'm a fast learner and its something that I really want to do. I only wish I would had started earlier in the game. I'm 25 now but I have the hopes of being an extremely good animist within a year or two if thats even possible (let me know if its not). Anyway, I'll take any help that I can get. Thank you for your time.

# 2 20-02-2008 , 04:23 PM
Jr.Who
Check out the free video tuts on this site, they will help you a lot. Also, check out the help (F1) files when you can't find something. If you're really stuck on something and the help files don't assist you, feel free to post on here.

Welcome to the community.
user added image

# 3 20-02-2008 , 04:32 PM
Thank you. Typically, how long does it take someone to become good as using a software like maya. I don't mind putting in the work and I plan on working for at least 1 hour or more everyday. Trying to turn this into a hobby.

# 4 20-02-2008 , 04:47 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Animation, rigging and skinning? have you done 3d before?

_Jay

# 5 20-02-2008 , 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Jay
Animation, rigging and skinning? have you done 3d before?

_Jay

Nope, but I've read up a lot about what is done thats how I know those terms.

# 6 20-02-2008 , 05:20 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by Nishua
Thank you. Typically, how long does it take someone to become good as using a software like maya. I don't mind putting in the work and I plan on working for at least 1 hour or more everyday. Trying to turn this into a hobby.

That's really a tough question to answer. It all depends on your learning style, your training, your passion for 3D, etc.

It also depends on what you mean by good.

# 7 20-02-2008 , 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
It also depends on what you mean by good.

By good I mean high res characters, with full lighting, full animation similar to models found in next generation games. Maybe even some movie production stuff. Ok, enough talking its time to get started. From your post it sounds like I have a lot to learn.

# 8 20-02-2008 , 05:26 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
then I wont kid you. Theres alot of hard work and plenty of frustration involved. But with hard work comes the payoff. I would do as suggested (download the videos) but I'd also recommend looking at the maya learning books that are available. They take you thru the basics of modelling, texturing, rigging etc...it will also give you a feel for the software. Most of the books come with an accompanying dvd that coincides with the chapters of the books.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...-keywords=Maya

these may be of help to you, (I hope) plus just look around the forums here and ask plenty of questions, everyone here are pretty helpful as all have had their own problems with maya related tasks...but above all enjoy it!!

cheers
Jay

# 9 20-02-2008 , 10:45 PM
Thanks for your help and information Jay. I have one last question should I get one of those graphics pads that are used for drawing? (Graphics Tablet ?) Or are those type of devices not necessary for a software like Maya? I know they are used for CAD ?

Last edited by Nishua; 20-02-2008 at 10:48 PM.
# 10 20-02-2008 , 11:06 PM
Senior Software Developer
Hi & welcome

As Jay suggested books are a gr8 way to learn, but it will be down to your own ways and how you prefer learn. I too have the Learning Maya books (modelling, animation and special effects) for Maya 7 and are still a gr8 reference even tho Maya is at version 2008 (9).

I do like the SM tutorials and have bought quite a few and the make gr8 reference materials, also have a look at the Digital Tutors Website. They offer free tutorials and there DVD/CDs are fantastic, but are quite expensive. Last place to visit it the gnomonology web site, they offer online courses and also tutorials to download. Gnomon are probably the school for this type of work and every student who has attended has gotten work via them. SO make your way to Los Angles.

Dont worry about your age. Istated out with 3D using XSI and I was 33. I am now 35 and still have not got a clue lol. Be prepared, once you start learning you will never stop, the learning curve goes uphill and doesnt stop.

Just enjoy it and if your 100% determined you will succeed in what you do.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 11 20-02-2008 , 11:17 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by Nishua
Thanks for your help and information Jay. I have one last question should I get one of those graphics pads that are used for drawing? (Graphics Tablet ?) Or are those type of devices not necessary for a software like Maya? I know they are used for CAD ?

They're not literally used in Maya, but things like PS for texturing, so they do help a lot.

# 12 21-02-2008 , 02:26 AM
I bought a nice cheap table for £23, and use it in PS, Maya, Mudbox, Zbrush.

In Maya it is used for painting, scultping and for the Paint Selection tool... Just gives that added control.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 13 21-02-2008 , 04:40 AM
What is a PS ? Thanks for the info R@nsid.

# 14 21-02-2008 , 09:09 AM
Photoshop

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter