Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 106 10-04-2006 , 05:01 AM
Subscriber
DIlbert,

are you a member of smcars.net
If not, you should be. It by far and I mean by far is the best website for 3d cars. Its a huge site that has everything like tutorials, textures, WIP, and BY FAR the biggest blueprint gallery you can find. YOu just search a name and 90 percent of the time you will find it. I thnk you need to post ya work on that site because some of the ppl on there are amazing. I seen some models that look real and yet ppl sill find crits about it so I mean its up to your par. Well check it out

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.

Last edited by ericmattison81; 10-04-2006 at 05:04 AM.
# 107 10-04-2006 , 05:36 AM
Yep, I'm a member of that site, and this car was posted there. The only thing I don't like about it is that people can get ultra anal about things. As far as I'm concerned, as long as 90% of the general populace can look at your model and instantly know what it is, you've done good. Some guys on that site know their cars so well that they obsess over details that nobody will see. Good site though.

# 108 11-04-2006 , 09:45 PM
Subscriber
do you work for general motors dilberts??... lol
ur probably teh coolest car modeler around.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 109 11-04-2006 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber
I have a question. Alright I know how to do a simple mental ray render but how do I render my car into something like a .jpg

I see it all the time where they render there shot into an image and it even cast shadows. do you know how to do that, if so, share your wealth

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 110 12-04-2006 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
Hey Dilbert

Awesome work on the Porsche.

I was wondering if you have a good source for HDR images? Free is better than not user added image

Cheers

MrR

# 111 12-04-2006 , 01:45 AM
Hey dilberts - it's been a while since I stopped by here - so I was very pleased to see your finished Porsche. As everyone else has said, just amazing. Well done! Good luck on the Yamaha bike.

# 112 12-04-2006 , 07:19 AM

Originally posted by ericmattison81
I have a question. Alright I know how to do a simple mental ray render but how do I render my car into something like a .jpg

I see it all the time where they render there shot into an image and it even cast shadows. do you know how to do that, if so, share your wealth

Simple!! Just render it as a Targa and then take it to photoshop and save it as a jpeg with maximum quality settings.

# 113 12-04-2006 , 08:13 AM
Or just render it then go save as and select JPEG

# 114 12-04-2006 , 09:38 AM

Originally posted by gster123
Or just render it then go save as and select JPEG

I would strongly disagree with thismethod, as the compression of the jpeg is terrible.

# 115 12-04-2006 , 11:26 AM
Hey dilberts, I would really like to take you up on the offer to show us with some screen shots of a couple of things.

Firstly can you show via diagrams the procedure for making the glass shader?

Also can you show a pictoral tut of the displacment you used with the mesh over the seats. Didnt quite understand that.

Wiould be greatly appreciated.

# 116 12-04-2006 , 05:45 PM
Sorry, I've been busy at work.

MrR. I've never really found any really good free HDRI's. You can try turbosquid. They have at least one decent one for free that I've used before. Other than that, you may have to buy a CD's worth.

Clopper. Here's the glass network. Unfortunately, I don't have time to cover the displacement map right now, but if I get time at the weekend, I can cover it then.

Attached Thumbnails
# 117 12-04-2006 , 08:09 PM
Subscriber
Dilbert, when you create your lines close to each other to get sharp edges when you smooth it, whats ya method of doing it. I do it with the split poly tool but I know in max, you can select the edges and chamfer them and it makes that 2nd lines nice and close. I was wondering how you do yours just incase you got a tool that makes it easier then the split so I dont have to go in and make each line. Thanks

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 118 13-04-2006 , 04:45 PM
eric, go to highend3d.com and download the OMToolbox in the Maya tools downloads section. It has a "split edge loop" tool that lets you choose a single edge, and it automatically continues to split adjacent edges, until it comes to the end of the geometry. You use the middle mouse button to drag this entire split edge into place, which is what I use to get evenly spaced close edges on the edges of my models. Here's what the edges look like in a wire:

Attached Thumbnails
# 119 13-04-2006 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by MrR
Hey Dilbert

Awesome work on the Porsche.

I was wondering if you have a good source for HDR images? Free is better than not user added image

Cheers

MrR

i only know of 1 hdri tutorial. metic.net
go to the maya section and click on the free video on hdri.
the tut says that there are some sample images and a tutorial of how do use hdri images https://athens.ict.usc.edu/HDRShop/. but i havent actually explored this website.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 120 13-04-2006 , 08:35 PM
Subscriber
thanks, now how do i install a script. t tried installing the xray toggle script before but nothing happens

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360