Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-04-2012 , 05:24 PM

subd error

i use maya 2011 i try convert from poly into subd.. but the errors appear. can guide me tq..

// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //
optionVar -q "scriptEditorKeywordsFile";
// Result: 0 //
createModelPanelMenu modelPanel4;
buildPanelPopupMenu scriptEditorPanel1;

# 2 12-04-2012 , 05:29 PM
Did you look for the details of the error in the script editor as instructed?

You most likely do not have enough base mesh faces but without seeing the detailed error message in the script editor you are asking people to guess.

Also a screen shot of what you are trying to convert might be helpful.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 12-04-2012 , 10:50 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ahhh poly to subd error an oldie but a goodie. I havent used subds for years since smooth poly became the norm

Usually this error can stem for a few things. Could be due to extra polys or verts accidently misplaced here and there, it can also be a build up of blind data on the subd itself. This can be found by opening up the hypergraph and selecting the object and graphing it. You'll either have subd blind data nodes or you wont. If you do have them select them and delete them its that easy. But beware as the mesh may disappear so you'll have to select it and reassign a shader.

cheers
Jay

# 4 12-04-2012 , 11:32 PM
That is kind of the catch all error message for poly to subd conversion. It's like the yellow light on your dashboard. That is why the complete error message that is in the script editor would be of more use to us in helping you.

I'd be willing to bet however, if he looks in the script editor he'll find something similar to this...

Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv): Cannot create subdivision surface as the resulting surface would have more base mesh faces (40000) than the maximum allowed (1000).

This is the most common error for people just starting out with subd in maya the default base mesh is 1000 and very often that quickly becomes to small.

I agree with you Jay and find subd's in Maya to not be very useful. Their only real appeal is localized detail and creasing both of which go out the window if you should have to convert back to poly for any reason. Also, Maya's creasing options are really limited compared to more modern programs designed to model in subd mode rather then having the feature poorly bolted on so they can claim Maya is a subd modeler.

As for me they really need to fix both subd and nurbs in Maya. You can all guess which would be my preference (smile).

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 12-04-2012 at 11:38 PM.
# 5 13-04-2012 , 12:24 AM
Lifetime Member
Im going out on a limb here Rick....NURBS??? he he he he he

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 13-04-2012 , 01:47 AM
ctbram, u guess wrong not this error, i check the maximum value and try on it, ntg do to with this.. i have pic shot pls have a look tq. and the error i get is this..

// Error: Select a subdivision surface which you want to tessellate. //
optionVar -q "scriptEditorKeywordsFile";
// Result: 0 //
createModelPanelMenu modelPanel4;
buildPanelPopupMenu scriptEditorPanel1;

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 13-04-2012 , 02:31 AM
Well no offense but for one thing you are still not showing the error from the script editor and for another ...

" ERROR: Select a subdivision surface which you want to tessellate."

Is an error from trying to convert a subdivision surface to a polygon surface where you have not selected a subd surface to convert. Is the screen shot above of a subd surface? If not then it's pretty clear why you are getting the error above. It looks pretty much like a polygon surface to me.

So we still are left to guess at your original problem of trying to convert a polygon to a subd.

Please try to convert from polygon to subd as you did in the original post and when / if it fails please open the script editor (the little icon in the bottom right hand side of your interface) and copy and paste the actual detailed error from that screen.

Based on your screen shot it would seem that the default base mesh size of 1000 should be large enough but without seeing the full error description from the script editor when you try to convert from polygon to subd we are all just guessing!

Seriously, I am not trying to be rude but without seeing the detailed message you may as well just make a post and say "Something is broke! Please help." You'll have about the same amount of luck getting a solution.

Thanks

Last edited by ctbram; 13-04-2012 at 02:50 AM.
# 8 13-04-2012 , 03:05 AM
Technical Director
Click on your object, run this in the command line. Give us the result.

Code:
string $sel[] = `ls -sl`; string $objs[] = `pickWalk -d down $sel[0]`; ls -showType $objs[0];

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 9 13-04-2012 , 09:47 AM
Uugh!!!

PM me your email, I'll contact you then send me the file......I know what it is!

Jay

# 10 13-04-2012 , 10:24 AM
Lifetime Member
bahahahahhah.....go chaps

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 13-04-2012 , 10:30 AM
LMAO....mines bigger than yours type of thread....

Jay

# 12 13-04-2012 , 11:29 AM
Seriously? When it says "Open Script Editor for details."? What part of that is confusing? I am just asking that he post the full error message from the script editor or am I being unclear?

The reason it seems like a pissing contest is because he can't seem to provide any helpful details other then his poly to subd conversion is failing and everyone is trying to guess an answer with no bloody useful information!

If the message he posted on the original post is all that was all the data from the full detailed message in the script editor then is it hard to say that?

If that is the full message form the script editor then the most likely caused is bad geo although, in my experience, you normally get a message about non-manifold geo or internal valance verts, etc in the full error message in the script editor or as mentioned blind data nodes in the subd node graph.

In his reply he still does not show the full message from the script editor for the convert poly to subd and is clearly trying to apply a convert subd to polygon on a polygon surface! So that is no help!

All I was asking for was a complete description of the problem and the full error message from the damn script editor otherwise you may as well say "There is a yellow light on my dash board. Please tell me exactly what is the problem and how to fix it?".

Last edited by ctbram; 13-04-2012 at 12:17 PM.
# 13 13-04-2012 , 03:50 PM
hey ctbram,, i did copy the fulldetail of error message, if u damn piss off then u no need stick ur nose n trying to pretend helping..all i facing the problem i need u all help other than u, if i am no clear about what rightful infomation i gv.. then pls guide me.. which info i should provide.....

# 14 13-04-2012 , 03:55 PM
hi nextdesign i did paste it on the mel and python script there, but nothing happen.....

# 15 13-04-2012 , 04:01 PM
Technical Director

hi nextdesign i did paste it on the mel and python script there, but nothing happen.....

Did you execute it? Did you have your object selected? Just pasting it into the command line won't run it.

Just send your file to Jay. That will be the quickest way to get this solved.

We're confused, because you say you want to turn your model from polygons into subdivisions, yet the script editor clearly says you're trying to convert a subdivision surface into polygons. (// Error: Select a subdivision surface which you want to tessellate. // )

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 13-04-2012 at 04:03 PM.