Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-04-2003 , 02:18 AM
Subscriber

Help saving hard drive with XP.

'Well finally got a new motherboard for my computer but its not a exact copy. I have a 20gig hard drive with win XP home on it with the rest of my files I WANT.. LOL every thing works fin but XP on the 20 will not boot now.. whats the quickest way to get it back up.. BTW have a copy of XP pro.. from a frind ready to install if it will leave my prog and data alone on the 20gig ???

# 2 08-04-2003 , 03:44 AM
I'm not for sure how PC's work exactly, but are you sure you have the drive installed as a master drive? If it's a slave configuration, it won't boot, or at least I assume it won't. Also, what kind of connection does it have? ATA, SCSI, IDE, or whatever. I've had problems sometimes with SCSI drives unwilling to boot. Of course I work Macs, so your mileage may differ. user added image

# 3 08-04-2003 , 04:06 AM
Subscriber
its IDE and its working fine and master. It starts.. starts to boot, but XP dosn't run the drivers for the new board right and stops dead.. I'm assoming thats why it stops.. I have drivers for the board but cant get them loaded with out XP running...

see the big ass problme is that the XP has the disk formated with NTFS (sp?) not FAT16 or FAT32

I just havent installed XP befor, it came like that so... user added image

thanks for the try wchamlet though..

# 4 08-04-2003 , 04:32 AM
Subscriber
what's the problem with NTFS? it's better than FAT32 so youre fine on that one...

about the XP thing, is it the same pc but a new Motherboard?

if it's that then your HDD should be working fine and the problem is going to be cut down to your new Motherboard.

did you try to use any other HDDs that you might have just to test them?

-Emo

# 5 08-04-2003 , 07:18 AM
Subscriber
dos on or any other system. win 98 or me.. etc will not mount NTFS.. has to be win XP as fare as I know.. the XP on the HHD is mis configered I THINK.. thats what I'm asking will the XP miss configered do that.. ? I don't have XP running on any other computer in the house.. so I have no way to test.. and not being familer with XP I don't know if its stupide like some microsoft stuf and will want to force a reformat of HHD..

thanks

# 6 08-04-2003 , 07:44 AM
Subscriber
Hi Pony,

your problem with XP might be that you have changed your motherboard and the problem that you have is with the WPA (windows product activation), because that you have changed your motherboard, and that your "hardware profile" therefore doesn't fits the one XP has been installed on...

Windows Product Activation (WPA), is made so one version of XP only can be installed on one computer... it is based on graphic card, network card, CPU etc. you can read more about it on this page... "Win XP-Product activation"... -->
https://www.atlguide2000.com/windowsx...act=view&aid=2

the also have a link page regarding "Activation and Registration"... -->
https://www.atlguide2000.com/links/li...ct=cat&cat=138

it is very anoying that this excist but atleast they have done it so you may change a couple of hardware pieces before you have to get a new WPA... but I think a whole new motherboard will make it a whole new computer in XP's wpa mind... and that's why it wouldn't work... e.g. you maybe could have changed a graphic card or a network card without a problem...

Microsoft also has this page about it were you can get more info about WPA... "Frequently Asked Questions about Microsoft Product Activation"... -->
https://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q302878

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 7 08-04-2003 , 08:01 AM
Subscriber
AAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhh well thats probly what the deal is.. ok.. trying to install win2000 over it... if that don't work will do the XP install.. would reather go to win2000.. heard just good things about it.

# 8 08-04-2003 , 12:33 PM
Subscriber
ok.. thanks every one, got it all going now.. have data files in hand but need to reinstall maya..

win2000 worked.. !!
still have no mouse though... using tablet anyway.