Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-10-2011 , 08:32 AM

I need help on option settings!

So I'm stuck on a certain step in this assignment..

"Select the leftLegIK handle and choose Modify > Freeze Transformations. Turn off the options for rotation and scaling and freeze the transformations. Select all of the handle's attributes in the Channel Box except for the translate, rotate and ikBlend attributes. Right-*‐click over the attributes and choose Lock and Hide Selected from the menu that appears. Repeat this process for the rightLegIK handle."

How do I turn off scaling and rotation?? Do I have to select the freeze transformation option box and unselect the check marks?

thanks guys.

# 2 25-10-2011 , 10:54 AM
I think its meant to do that in the Channel Editor. You select what the tutorial wants you to select, then you go to your channel Editor and select all the Rotation and Scale Attributes (Rotate X, Rotate Y, Rotate Z, Scale X etc. ) do a right click and select Lock and Hide. Lock means, that you cannot change the values or move, or rotate anymore,..hide means that this attribute will now dissapear from your Editor view. You can unhide that at anytime with the Channel Control in WINDOWS/ GENERAL EDITORS / CHANNEL CONTROL.

# 3 26-10-2011 , 03:50 AM
This is the error I get trying to lock and hide the leftlegIK

// Error: Freeze Transform was not applied because leftLegIK.rotateX is locked.

I still think unchecking the rotation and scale boxes in the freeze transformations is the way to do it. But I'm still not 100% sure.

# 4 26-10-2011 , 06:40 AM
Oh...ok..so leftlegIK is already locked then. You need to unlock it in order to make changes to its values. Go to that Channel Control I already mentioned in my previous post and unlock all attributes of the items where you need to freeze the transformation.

# 5 26-10-2011 , 07:31 AM
So it actually was unchecking the scale and rotate options boxes in the freeze transformations menu.

The way he wrote it down is just confusing and vague I guess.

Thanks for the help.

# 6 26-10-2011 , 07:41 AM
Allright then. No problem user added image