Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 181 27-05-2009 , 02:34 AM
yeah - nice job with the new ship. user added image

# 182 27-05-2009 , 02:41 AM
Ha ha, I guess it does look a bit "cute", hopefully it'll look a little more menacing once I've got some textures on it, thanks for the comments everyone, just hope my final scene is as pleasing to the eye!

# 183 27-05-2009 , 03:22 AM
The new pods nearly done now, just a couple of extra bits and Uv mapping time, here's a quick render of it pre-texture.

Attached Thumbnails
# 184 27-05-2009 , 07:26 AM
Subscriber
nice addition Dango

# 185 27-05-2009 , 03:31 PM
Thanks Sokol!
Got the texturing of the new pod done, not gone that far with the detail as it'll be small once again, and I've still got a couple of other bits to do before Monday, can't believe it's nearly over!

Attached Thumbnails
# 186 28-05-2009 , 05:42 AM
Subscriber
Love the new pods, looking well cool.

My overall concern at the mo is that you might end up having too much going on in the scene - were your main (first) ship was cool enough. - Just don`t over do it, as I still think this one is yours.

I`m having a nightmare of a time rendering mine out - having to set up 14 different scenes just to get the ship rendered out and then another one for the background - huh - then it keeps crashing as well and I think my PC is sick with some virus, but it will be done.

# 187 28-05-2009 , 05:53 AM
Subscriber
i can't believe it's almost over too...
i'm almost done (so i think) so i stopped.... not good...

i love the paint job you put on it. it looks beautiful! how'd you make the red textures?

tweety, that's quite sad that you're having trouble rendering... i hope everything shows up on your renders though! unlike mine...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 188 28-05-2009 , 06:48 AM
The Nurb Herd
have you lit this with sun and sky and put a stary background behind it in PS? It looks like the tube things are reflecting the sun and sky environment.
Also what is going on half way down the big horizontal tube things? there are some "wires" that disappear into nothing.

Imo your textures are pretty basic, have you used layered shaders to make them? I only ask as you said that you build up the layers like 2D painting.

# 189 28-05-2009 , 10:37 AM
Tweety:
Thanks, my scene is pretty crowded,but the pods (both red and green ones) are very very small, some you can hardly see and I'm liking how it's ended up so just have to hope everyone else does too! I had pretty much the same amount of layers and struggled to get the rendering done but just about managed and it's finished now!
Hope you manage to get it sorted, viruses are a pain in the arse!

Chirone:
Thanks too, the red textures are very basic as the pods in the final are tiny! But glad you like them! It's just different shades of red here and there, a sponge filter applied in photoshop with blur added, and a couple of dirt maps with opacity lowered to desired levels. You can't see any of that detail in the final image but just wanted them to look alright as I want to do an animation of this sometime.

Hammer:
The wires/tubes don't disappear into nothing, it's just the angle it's at and as you said I used sun and sky to light it as I wanted it lit quickly so I could post it and move on.The starry background is a mentalray lookup BG node though, not added in photoshop.
The textures are basic, not a layered shader, just photoshop work as explained above.

# 190 30-05-2009 , 03:22 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Dango77
my scene is pretty crowded

that's probably the only downside to doing the unity ships... they kinda have to be crowded to go with Mike's original description...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 191 31-05-2009 , 10:25 PM
Well it's that time and here's my finished pic,
I went for a sort of comic/graphic novel look, with a bit of influence from the opening scene in Revenge of the Sith, the image is called "Battle for the Grubb Homeworld"
I wanted a lot of carnage and it to be as bold as possible, tried my best and I hope everyone likes it.
Best of luck to everyone else!

Link to bigger and better version!

Attached Thumbnails
# 192 31-05-2009 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
Dango, you pulled off what you had desired with your project. It came out so very, very nice. I can't imagine the work that you have put into that, but it certainly shows in your render!! Been fun Dango, sorry it is over!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 193 31-05-2009 , 10:57 PM
dango - that is insane - very nice job mate - really loving everything that's going on - this looks like a real space battle. so how did you do the explosions? - they look cool.

good luck mate. user added image

# 194 31-05-2009 , 11:05 PM
Thanks Tom, it's all I hoped and more! Though if I'd known we could do multi images for our finals I would have done my original idea of a few pages of a graphic novel with the Grubb battle in progress, I had a lot of fun though and learnt more so I'm very happy!

Thanks Arran!
I'm glad you think I pulled off the space battle look, the explosions were made using fluids, and a little tweaking in photoshop, layering one over the other to get a bit of diffence etc.
Ended up with so many render layers! I'd only just learnt how to use them so happy it worked, and so many photoshop layers! I think it went over 60 in all, never done so much tweaking! lol!

# 195 31-05-2009 , 11:21 PM
It came out awesome mate - well done!