Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 04-02-2008 , 03:19 AM
Subscriber
Thanks guys. I don't think it is hardware. My system is setup for Maya and the like. I do a ton of Photoshop with HUUUUGE file24x36 inches at high resolution. I think it is likely related to my geometry. I am just surprised that Maya just crashes, instead of giving you an error message.

I'll try the rendering outside of Maya. Thanks for that advice.

# 17 04-02-2008 , 01:34 PM
Maya's a programme that will eat up any system resource if you give it half a chance. Are you on 32 bit or 64? Just that if Maya crashes in a render it usualy that I've hit the Max RAM for a 32 bit system, which I then just get a straight crash.

You can also lower the RAM requirements by making maya write the textures to HDD rarther than hold it in the RAM when rendering by going to the file nodes of the textures and checking use cache.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 18 05-02-2008 , 02:03 PM
Usefull tip gster. Does it cause a large increase in render times?

gubar

# 19 05-02-2008 , 02:17 PM
Ive not compared them tbh, but if you render without maya being open (either right clicking or comand line rendering) it does speed up the render time quite a bit, also lowering the RAM requirement will let you squeeze out every last bit that your syetem can muster for say, paint FX hair, or any other RAM intensive task at rendertime, that might otherwise cause a crash.

For example if I try to render with SSS some 2048 maps for a character, hair generated using paint FX and a hair system with maya open i'll crash right off the bat as it maxes it out the RAM. If I cache the textures and then render form the cmd line or right click with no other programmes open it will render it out, which is a good thing! Other than that I would probably just render in passes the lower the system demand (do the character sepperate and then a hair pass over the top, which gives grater control over the look in compositing)

# 20 05-02-2008 , 02:44 PM
Ok, I see what you mean. Certainly when I create my master scene containing all the scenes I'm working on just now it's good to know this - cheers.

You mention rendering without maya open, by right clicking - what are you right clicking? The scene file?

cheers

gubar

# 21 05-02-2008 , 03:40 PM

Originally posted by gubar

You mention rendering without maya open, by right clicking - what are you right clicking? The scene file?

cheers

gubar

yup, there should be an option that says render, just click that and off it goes.

# 22 05-02-2008 , 04:34 PM
Ok see it now thanks, guess you just save the scene as you want it rendered (select your camera in the viewport, finalize all settings) then just close maya and render from there.

Cheers for the tip.

gubar