Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-03-2009 , 01:37 PM

Dungeon Tunnel

Hi to all, thought I'd do another little project for while I'm waiting for me challenge renders to finish rendering each time, so I'm doing a dungeon type scene, not entirely sure what I'm going to put into it by the end but it'll be fun to do anyway, as always comments etc are more than welcome!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-03-2009 , 03:20 PM
Subscriber
the scene looks ok for now... The only thing wrong that i can notice is the lights. not sure but it looks like you mapped an image to your light source to create the effect on the side walls. the only prob with that, you have the same type of projection on the walls. you may want to create the iron gates and create a light source from the outside..

# 3 16-03-2009 , 05:22 PM
yeah - nice scene - but as semeon pointed out, it's not making much sense at the moment - where's the light supposed to be coming from? and why is the same light coming from both directions and why is it parallel - which would suggest sun / moonlight and so is probably impossible.

i like the textures on the wall - but the ground tiles are looking a bit uniform - might be nice to mess them up.

# 4 16-03-2009 , 05:33 PM
Hi Semeon and arran, the light source was just for now to see what it looks like, not going to keep it, although the bars are actually in the windows and the light sorce is a real one so don't know how that happened to look fake, must be the way I have the settings at the moment! It will change a gazillion times before it's done so no worries there, thanks for the crits though, and also the tiles on the floor just haven't been textured at all yet so hopefully they will look better in the future!

# 5 16-03-2009 , 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Dango77
Hi Semeon and arran, the light source was just for now to see what it looks like, not going to keep it, although the bars are actually in the windows and the light sorce is a real one so don't know how that happened to look fake, must be the way I have the settings at the moment! It will change a gazillion times before it's done so no worries there, thanks for the crits though, and also the tiles on the floor just haven't been textured at all yet so hopefully they will look better in the future!

and the light source is real??? er, you do know that the lights in maya aren't real, right? at the end of the day you still need to use the right type of light to create the right effect - just making a light will not necessaryilly make something that looks real. at the moment it looks like you are using a direction light - which will simulate sun / moon light - ie: the rays will be parallel. It's impossibe for sunlight to be coming from 2 opposite directions like in your scene, so no amount of tweaking will make it look right. as for the tiles, i just meant that they were flat - and seeing as they look individually modeled it might be nice to vary them a bit so they look more varied.

Last edited by arran; 16-03-2009 at 08:06 PM.
# 6 16-03-2009 , 06:37 PM
Ha ha, I didn't mean real in that way....Lol. No you are totally right, I'm going to get rid of the lights on the Right hand side I think, they're spots, I tried directional and they looked even worse, ant recommendations? It would be greatly appreciated! I've just started texturing the paving stones with a photo of a real one, I'll add it as a bump and see how it looks, and I will probably rotate a few of them fractionally here and there so they look a little more worn and torn, thanks for your comments arran, I need all the help I can get!

# 7 16-03-2009 , 08:00 PM
ha ha - fair enough. i always read what i've written and then think - 'you sound like a dick!'

nothing wrong with setting your lights up early, but if you're not sure what the focus of your scene will be, i might hold off on the lighting - or at least put in a stand in object. if you're going for natural light than i would definitely stick with a direction light.

like any project, it's good to work out exactly what you're going for - composition, the focus, etc - the more you have finalised - at least in your head - the easier it will be to light.

Last edited by arran; 16-03-2009 at 08:08 PM.
# 8 16-03-2009 , 08:52 PM
All good points arran, thanks. I have the same problem when hand drawing, I tend to do what I call constructive doodling, drawing random things til the page is full, lol, that's why I was so glad to have the challenge to do, someone else giving me the spec is so much fun!

I've gotten rid of the lights coming from the left now and I think it's looking loads better, as I said at the start of the thread I'm only doing this for a bit of practice while mentalray's rendering, (that's also why it may not look so good, rendering with the maya software render) so really it's just a doodle for learning's sake!

Last edited by Dango77; 27-06-2011 at 07:50 PM.
# 9 17-03-2009 , 01:55 AM
wait... where are the lights coming from? this confuses me so much

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 10 17-03-2009 , 03:03 AM
Subscriber
just thinking.. if raytrace shadows causes you to die then you could try the other shadows, the depth map shadows. you can kinda get the same effect as ray trace and they render faster too.

when i draw i tend to stuff a lot on the page (save paper?) too...

i wonder if you can add some fog or something so you can see the light rays, you know what i mean?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 11 17-03-2009 , 03:47 AM
I most certainly do Chirone, and I was thinking the exact same thing, either that or dust.One of the enviromental shaders has that so I'll give it a go! Raytrace shadows, and indeed adding more geometry to a poly packed scene really isn't a problem now, the command line render has sorted that right out, cheers again for that Chirone!

# 12 17-03-2009 , 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Joopson
wait... where are the lights coming from? this confuses me so much

Thought I'd shed some light on the subject of where the light is coming from.... Sorry, bad jokes this early in the morning are the worst, and mine are bad most of the time! Have done a bit more to it, will start adding some more bits and pieces into the scene next I think.

Last edited by Dango77; 27-06-2011 at 07:50 PM.
# 13 17-03-2009 , 08:53 AM
The Nurb Herd
i'm not really a fan of the lighting yet, is it night or day?

...also is the floor wet?

# 14 17-03-2009 , 09:09 AM
h.h: I'm not really a big fan of the lighting myself, I hadn't tried lighting from outside an object before so thought it'd be a good way to learn, I'm questioning that now... lol. It's meant to be early morning, and yes, the floor is meant to be wet, so at least one things going to plan so far! I'll get there in the end, if not this piece one of them!

# 15 17-03-2009 , 05:22 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I definatly think its getting better
if you really are making a dungeon i would probably make it during the night. and maybe have flame torches to be your main light sources and generally have it really dark so it really feels like a dungeon