Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 10-05-2009 , 09:57 PM
Subscriber
crazy bump eh? i'll take a look at that

i don't have any normal maps applied, i just made them but i haven't saved a picture with them

i'm going to guess the reason why the second render took so damn long was because of the approximation node.

the underside of the wings haven't been properly modeled and the parts on top seem to have affected below.
no matter, the final shot shouldn't show the underside anyway

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 32 11-05-2009 , 05:52 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by tweetytunes
I`m no pro when it comes to normal maps but crazy bump allows you to use both at the same time within its viewer and when you export it creates both maps. Turn one off in the viewer defiantly makes a difference to the texture, so I`m thinking he might be wrong there - no offence.

When I said "normal maps aren't supposed to be used with displacement" I meant that you can't use a normal map to displace your object... (well, you can but your not meant to.. you get poor results). I didn't mean you can't use Disp maps at the same time your using normal/bump maps..... this actually works very well, as the bump maps can help to highlight some of the finer detail.

sorry for the misunderstanding user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 33 19-05-2009 , 11:03 AM
Subscriber
strange things are happening

the right wing's normals are reversed but the normal map shows up correctly only when it's like that... if the normals are facing the right way then the bumps and stuff are inverted user added image

it's using the same map as the left wing, althoguh the map was flipped horizontally... bizzare....

more bizzareness:
when painting weights the model did not go black and white showing where the weights are as it usually does
i know i've come across this problem before and i solved it but i can't remember how i did it.... user added image

and finally more bizzareness:
the displacement maps are making flat surfaces have funky black artifacts where it should be flat user added image

well... the ship was positioned and so were all the little augments and weapons

ship has been textured, but no spec-map yet... probably should make one......

maya crashed on me while doing something and so all i've recovered is this one last for-now-SM-exclusive-footage-until-i-can-be-bothered-uploading-it-elsewhere

Attached Thumbnails

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX

Last edited by Chirone; 19-05-2009 at 11:06 AM.
# 34 19-05-2009 , 11:10 AM
Subscriber
oh, and i found this in the tmp folder

Attached Thumbnails

# 35 20-05-2009 , 10:57 AM
Subscriber
i'm now fully aware that my ship is completely different to everyone elses and not even recognizable as a ship. not a single part of it is recognizable as anything. Heck not even i know what this ship is made of...

so i should really just give up a month ago since it's so different and small

close up of one of the melee-ish weapons. the entity in the bubble of the wing controls all four of these with its telekinetic powers
https://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...00_7053477.jpg

close up from behind the wing
https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...01_8202705.jpg

close up of the front, you can see the weirdness from the maps in the thing that's holding the blades
https://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2444591_n.jpg

close up of the back of the center part
for some reason the area around the middle of teh wing scrunched up, despite this being completely flat on UV space
https://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...03_3513988.jpg

different angle, as might be able to tell the left wing is pointing away from the center ship
the light in the center ship's body is accidental. it will probably go away if i make the lightning cast shadows
https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...04_6620501.jpg

render times are still under 40 seconds so i must be doing something wrong with the renders... other than adding shadows, any idea how to make my render time rise?
i suppose i could make the bubbles transparent as they were meant to be and give them refractions and put the little entities inside...

only a few things left to do and then i'll let this go...

as you can tell i'm really bad at sci-fi stuff....user added image

Last edited by Chirone; 20-05-2009 at 11:12 AM.
# 36 20-05-2009 , 06:07 PM
hey chirone - nice job mate - i'm really liking this entry, especially some of the textures - they are really out there, which is cool. user added image

# 37 20-05-2009 , 08:29 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Yeah, i agree..... nice textures!... i like the lighting effects.

Nice one!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 38 20-05-2009 , 09:28 PM
Subscriber
yeah, the textures on the center engine and bubble/cockpit were actually accidental :p

i turned on color spray and it came up with those black bits in there too and i thought it kinda looked cool

the weird black-like teeth marks on the things that hold the blades are also accidental :p some artifacts left by one of the maps... no matter, you probably wont see it in the final shot

i have no idea why the one at the bottom is transparent though.... it has the same material assigned as the wings of the center ship and there is no transparency applied to it

i'm told by gster that i should have exported the level1 mesh out of zbrush as well and that might (or might not) be part of my problems

# 39 21-05-2009 , 09:32 AM
Subscriber
Nice texture in the center. I would like to find also some accidental textures so cool.

# 40 26-05-2009 , 08:53 AM
Subscriber
just because this thread hasn't had an update for a while thought i would show my colour maps..
i did make a transparency map but oddly enough it didn't actually do anything... and neither did trying it with a ramp... O_o

center ship
https://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...43_3743302.jpg
https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...944_469242.jpg

left wing
https://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...945_165644.jpg
https://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...46_3464974.jpg

and... somehow... this AO render took 21 minutes and 21 seconds to render... no joke...
i figure it's to do with all the lights it had to trace... best part is is that it didn't really make much of a difference in the end.....
https://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...964_941503.jpg

# 41 26-05-2009 , 03:25 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
My AO render times are through the roof as well, i run out of memory user added image
Looking cool, for some strange reason reminds me of FF, no idea where I got that from tho user added image

# 42 26-05-2009 , 04:05 PM
The Nurb Herd
yeah i thought it looked kinda FF7 style.

# 43 26-05-2009 , 10:02 PM
Subscriber
elephantinc: i figure it only took that long because of all the lights it had to raytrace to, i'm fairly certain if i didn't have so many light sources then it would have taken about 1-4 minutes since it didn't take that long before i added all the lights...

Originally posted by hammer.horror
yeah i thought it looked kinda FF7 style.

yeah... you should see the colour version.... somehow the picture got the colours of holy and meteor.... that was unintentional too... woops
:blush:

a friend told me it looked cool, so i asked if he knew what it was seeing as how no one knows what it is, and he said "yes, it's a final fantasy version of a virus attacking a cell"
*facepalm*

# 44 26-05-2009 , 10:26 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

a friend told me it looked cool, so i asked if he knew what it was seeing as how no one knows what it is, and he said "yes, it's a final fantasy version of a virus attacking a cell"
*facepalm* [/B]

lol
I solved my rendering problem....sort of
actually everyone else solved it XD
Do you know why youre optical FX arent working?
Did yours work in a new scene? Mine did, maybe its because the scene is too heavy for your comp to cope

Last edited by elephantinc; 26-05-2009 at 10:30 PM.
# 45 26-05-2009 , 10:52 PM
Subscriber
did i get it working? nope. i was trying to shove the optical fx on the main gun on the center ship (the fog works! but optical fx doesn't)
i figure i can just try add it later in photoshop..

i somehow doubt that the scene is too heavy... at least i wouldn't think so...

running vista 64,
4gb ram
ati radeon 4870(?) i can't remember but it's close to the latest ati radeon from last year...
also the latest drivers for it seems to make it impossible to use the rotate tool... i should go back to the older ones... a start up crash because of it is more bearable (perhaps) than not being able to use the rotate tool...

the scene is under 200,000 polys with a few 2k and 1k maps (maybe even under 100,000 polys... will need to check), and surely that's not much...